1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Laptop in Vehicle

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by menchhofer, Apr 2, 2003.

1. menchhofer

menchhofer LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Probably not the right category to post but I am putting laptop and printer in vehicle and would like to know what type of power converter you guys have/currently use.

I am thinking of about an inverter with two plus about 150-200 watts to power both the pc and the printer. Any comments?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think Ray Kirby does it in his truck...could be wrong tho???
  3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Do a search I'm pretty sure KS Land showed his set up about a month ago, it was pretty nice.
  4. Hometown

Hometown LawnSite Member

You should be able to order a power adaptor from the maker of your laptop. I used to run a IBM 365x in my truck and I just ordered mine from aftermarket company IBM recomended. I would be alittle leary about running the laptop in the summer in the truck I used mine mostly in the winter while doing snow removal, the heat will really play havoc on the computer sytems they usually like it a little cooler than the inside of a truck on a 95 degree day.
  5. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Sony Viao and a HP Laptop printer in my truck. I power it with a 300 watt converter with 2 plug outlets. Fan cooled and it runs all day with no problem. Both my printer and laptop have batteries just in case there is a problem. The power supply charges them all the time so they are never dead.
  6. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

Oh, as for the heat..... I leave my windows rolled down a little and I have had no problem for the past 2 years. I do throw a white towel over the laptop if I am going to be out of the truck for more than 30 minutes or so.
  7. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got a really nice power inverter from target for $29.99

It says it's good for laptops and it's fancooled. I ran a 13"tv and a Playstation 2 for about 800 miles with no problems.

GREEN DRAGON LM LawnSite Member

I use a 300 watt. It runs a dell and a hp printer
  9. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

I almost done this
    my first year
  10. 4734

4734 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

In my full time job we have lots of electronics in our vehicles. In mine I have two high ban radios, a gps unit, two rechargeable flashlights, and a panasonic tough book computer.

When we first put the equipment in everything but the laptop ran on 12v, and we used a 300w inverter to power the laptop.

That inverter will run a battery dead in a short period of time.
    We then found a 12v power cord for the laptop and we are now able to leave the engine off all day with the laptop up an running if needed.

The cords are expensive, I think we paid $75.00 for ours.

We have 8 trucks outfitted like this for the past two years with no problems.