1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Laptop or PDA handheld computer

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by joed, Feb 9, 2003.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking for a portable computer to supplement my desktop computer. I am trying to decide between getting a low end laptop or a PDA handheld with either the Palm or Pocket PC operating system. The PDA is obviously cheaper but is it productive enough or will laptop be better? Only problem I have with the laptop is the cost of a low end unit gives significantly less than a similarly priced desktop.
  2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Don't know about you, but I have to room in my trucks with 3 people in each. The palms are great though, small enough to fit in your pocket! You will find you will have to spend time tailoring software programs to meet your needs. Once thats all set up, maintenance routes are great on them. Get into the office, dock it, and download the days work!
  3. Precision Care

Precision Care LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I use a PDA. It has word and excel for all my spread sheets. Works great for me.
  4. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

Would you care to share with us your recommendations based upon this experience for software & hardware you're using for the maintenance routes. What info are you down loading and to what software? with regards... devildog
  5. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

6. gpriddy

gpriddy LawnSite Member
    from MD

You can enter your job site info. into any spreadsheet with proper labels then export it from your PDA as a .CSV file. This CSV file can be imported into virtually any database driven application software. Check your user manuals...

PDAs work for me!!
  7. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

I would be lost with out my PDA , holds everything.
  8. jcanada

jcanada LawnSite Member

I have had my Toshiba Pocket PC for about 6 months now. I would hate to spend a day out in the field without it. My only complaint was the price. I would highly recommend checking out Dell's new line of Pocket PCs. I was on their webstite (www.dell.com) the other day and was amazed at their prices. I have a Dell descktop in my office and love it. I am leasing my computer for a 3 year term (the entire amount is tax deductible) and I can buy it for $1.00 at the end of the term.