Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Mike TMI, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Mike TMI

Mike TMI LawnSite Member

As I type this...I am jumping on to someone's wireless connection with my laptop.....I just left a homeowner's house and he was blown away that a LCO uses a laptop and printer in our trucks. He actually wanted to see the setup.

You know we get no respect....I guess most people think we should all be rednecks and are just in this for a time until something else comes along.

Does anyone else use laptops/printers in your trucks?
  2. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

quite a few on here do. somewhere there is a recent thread, complete with some pics.

i love my set-up (laptop, canon portable printer, dell axim pocketPC, digital camera). we're currently beta testing a process for signing estimates/contracts on the pocket pc. that works great so far and i can just print off the copy for the homeowner.

here's the thread:
  3. dog245

dog245 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I do use my laptop in my truck. I have been throwing around the idea of a truck based printer. However, I haven't researched it much. If possible could you send me some info. As for us being rednecks, we are doing a service for people who are too lazy to do it themselves. If we compare our yearly earnings to most of our customers I'd bet we would come out on-top. Reason being we aren't afraid to work hard and our profits should reflect such.
  4. tonygreek

i use the canon i70 portable, which i like quite a bit. it's been replaced with the i80, and currently you can pick up the i70 for $150ish. downside is that it doesn't come with the over-priced lithium battery ($75), but you can run it off an inverter.
  5. Mike TMI

Mike TMI LawnSite Member

back in the office now....

I use the HP Photosmart printer. It has the slots for all the digital camera disks and a lot of times after a mulching job or if I drive by after my guys have cut the lawn, I will print out a picture and leave it for the client. They love it!

I also use the power inverter to run the printer....
  6. tonygreek

that too is one of things we do for that extra touch, although so far we only do it for my remodeling company's customers. i plan on doing the same for landscape installations. i take a pic and then run it through one of photoshop's macro filters, throw it in a frame, and BANG!... instant watercolor rendering of their home.

actually, it might make a great christmas gift for the customers as well, so they keep you in mind come off-season. hit your local craft wholesale house, which is where i buy nice frames for just a couple of bucks, print it on heavy stock paper, and there you go.

this is why i love this site. typing opens up some nice ideas.