Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by NC Scaper, May 7, 2005.

1. NC Scaper

NC Scaper LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a laptop and just wanted to get some models and opinions from some of ya ll on here. Just wanna see what has worked best for you. It will be primarily for business.

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Depends on many things. First of all are you going ot use QuickBooks? Will it be at home or in the truck? Do you need Wifi? How much are you willing to spend? Are you going to be connected to the internet a lot? What type of connection? Dial up etc? I use a Linux laptop for school. Cheap, no Wifi but with the newer OS version people tell me there's a USB adapter. No spyware, no antivirus software needed but if you need Quickbooks you're sunk. Nothing like it I've found for Linux yet. Found a good gas mileage application the other day and OpenOffice 2.0 is good enough to handle tohe office suite stuff. Can read any type of document Excel, Word, Powerpoint, WordPerfect, StarOffice but sometimes going back and forth is not possible. If you just need to read documments and do simple things you may want to go this route otherwise you're looking at Dell country. The one I have is the 500 dollar job from Wal-mart. It's called a Balance notebook. They are alway sold out of them. Getting popular quickly. I had to try 3 times to finally get mine.
  3. Lnd Svyr

Lnd Svyr LawnSite Member

I have a Dell. No complaints. Unless you need heavy processor power, just get their cheapest Celeron and go. HP makes good ones, too--never seen them as cheap, though.
  4. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I recently got the compaq m2010 at circuit city it was 649 after rebates
  5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

As far as I am concerned there is only One Computer maker on the market....DELL. Their Quality, Support, Service and Price is unmatched PERIOD! They also always have "Business Owner" deals if you call them.
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a dell Latitude from a local pc shop for $325 complete with case and all. I mainly use micosoft word and excell. It has windows 98 on it and works good with the internet and I had the free version of Gopher on it for a while. I didnt spend alot of $$$ on it, I use it to keep all my buisness records on
  7. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Ahhh, laptops! I love 'em, and then....

Let me point out a couple things specific to laptops that you want to beware of!
    (1) the frame or chassis ! It should be very solid and *rigid*, flex is your enemy!

(2) the keyboard is a weak point, and it escapes me how to determine a good one. I've had to replace keyboards on 2 different laps, and they ain't cheap. $125 to $160 for the keyboard itself, I do my own labor.

With the exception of IBM, all brands of Windows based laps share a 'pool of components', similar to our mowers :)

Get one with built in WiFi and a CD burner.
  8. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have four Gateway PC's and 2 laptops and am very satisfied.
  9. NC Scaper

NC Scaper LawnSite Member

Dell so far is what i am leaning toward. And yes i have checked in with them on their business owners deals. They have great prices and all the different option to build what u want. Come to think of it Dell is being built right up the road from me. My biggest need for it is just having enough juice to run my contract software. But of course a few goodies wouldn't hurt.
  10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Toshiba and Dell are both excellent choices.