Laptops and PDA's In The Feild

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by danslawncare, Feb 15, 2006.

1. danslawncare

danslawncare LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys use laptops or PDA's. If so do you carry them with you and do you really find them handy or just a "cool thing" any business programs you can put on them?us flag

2. danslawncare

any cool software?

3. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I currently use a Palm One. It's been awesome and dont really want to go to laptop, BUT, that is what I am doing as of now. I just bought a lap top Gateway MX3215 Notebook for the truck and also researching Goper, Lawn Monkey, Clip, QClip, and Service CEO. I dont think it has anything to do with being cool. It's business. Speeds the process up so you can make more and track more money. I believe it's the smart thing to do. Good Luck!!!!!

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Nothing beats a good ol pen and paper.

5. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I take my laptop in the field mainly to print out agreements (contracts) and quotes. I may use it this season to enter invoices and such.

6. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a laptop but not so much for in the field as it is for client presentations. I keep my portfolio on there and find this to be a very effective method to help "close the deal" when pitching to clients. I really don't desire to carry one in the field for any other reason, I think if even a little bit of it were left uncovered it would be to tempting to swipe, besides I'm hard as he!! on cell phones hammer , don't want the added reponsibility of my laptop.

7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, but I kept running out of ink, and the paper kept getting a virus

8. danslawncare

What can you do with a Palm in the field? Ever worry about breaking it? Are they durable?

9. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Blackberry and I love it. I can send and receive email on there, I can search the web, it has a great contact list and it's very easy to use. The only thing I have a problem with is the button on the side. I always hang up on people when they call:cry:

Chris

10. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I've considered getting a lap top for my truck but as of right now I write everything down on forms and then transfer that over to a PC at home. I dont think that I would have the time in the field to input data into the laptop. I think it is a great idea for the right business but we are at one house and then tearing out to next house. I can see where it would be good for showing clients what there landscape will look like after the job is done or to show them a certain flower or shrub. But from a strictly maintenance business I think it would be too time consuming. The only way that it would be worth it to me is if the laptop stayed running the entire day but even then I wouldn't want to be typing on the keyboard with sweaty and gritty fingers. Now if you are talking about just using it for invoices then it would be nice but those are printed up for the last cut of the month before we leave out on that day. I may be completely wrong on this but I have a hard time convincing myself that I would use a laptop.