Large acre jobs? per acre cost?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Ive had ONE large property last year, it was ~6 acres which the customer swore it was 3.

I cut it for $115 per cut, which was $10 less due to the fact the woman said her old lawn company cut it for $115 and i wanted the job at the time.

After doing a yard that BIG, and realizing how much work it still is for only $115.

An old boss of mine years ago lives in a development that has 4 houses, all direct neighbors in a square on both sides of the road.

Its 4 properties, ~2 to 2.5 acres each. All houses have pools in the back, taking up some space and lots of mulch beds with landscaping. So im guessing ill cut around 7 acres worth.

I quoted out between $79 and $84 per yard and his current company is doing it for $50 per yard or $200 a week for all 4... Id love to take it over, but dont see how myself and my worker could mow all this and profit enough of $200?

2. eastwing22

eastwing22 LawnSite Member

I'd let them keep it for $50.00 per yard!As far as those big yards or feilds I know bout them 2.Hads some folks was cutting 2 ballfeilds for and done them for around (7acres=125.00)other (4.5 acres =85.00).I nearly spent that on the damage I done to my mower on the feilds!

3. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I think if you took the yard you would end up being pissed that you did.:waving:

4. Ramairfreak98ss

thanks guys, i agree.. I know all the guys and their country type yards and not looking for a perfect manicured look, thats probably why the other company, known for shoddy work, has been doing them so cheap. Theyre a pretty big company too, 3 full lawn crews.

I think ill offer it out to them anyway for $64 per lawn is $256 per cut. I think i can do all 4 in about 2-3hrs with my help. And with that, it takes 4 lawns away from the other company that has been known in the past to undercut my 1 acre+ lots from $48 for only $30.00 per cut:nono:

Of course, the guys here might be bluffing with $50 per cut, maybe it really is $60-65 now and they want to see if ill drop the price... They already said theyre not thrilled with the 5-7 man crews that blow through the lawns each week and their wives cant talk to the guys to ask them to do anything different.

5. gwwilson

gwwilson LawnSite Member

ramair,
    my prices are as posted: 2ac= $75, 2 1/2ac = $90, 6 ac = $225

i never lower my prices.................... they don't take i'll get the next one !!!!

6. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I know some of you will laugh at me but I do an 1.5 acre church for $135.00 a cut. I simple dont know how you guy can cut acreage for so cheap.

Its different all over the country so expect to get a ton of different answers.

7. mudwisr2

mudwisr2 LawnSite Senior Member

Cutting acreage is a lot different than having to cut and weed eat a property. I cut a 2.5 acre lot that requires less than 5 minutes of weedeating and I charge $75 a cut. I really dont have to weed eat anything but I am a bit picky and it is at a very busy intersection.

8. Ramairfreak98ss

yeah your lucky... im in a nicer areas in central NJ, and im not doing BAD but competition is STIFF here! Its mainly a few larger companies, say 10-30employees that do the bulk of the low balling. Im not sure why, but most have assumed its because they need a LOT of work to keep the crews busy, even if technically therye not making a profit or loosing money, at least theyre not loosing as much as the guys sitting there on their a$$ not working because not enough business and jobs?

Literally, ive had customers call up complaining about how i quoted them $55 for 1.3 acres when XYB company comes in for $35 and the $115 lawn i had that was over 6 acres, they dropped me after the 10th cut because i wouldnt agree to BAG 6 acres, nor would i agree to MULCH it. I currently mulch everything but not all year long. He didnt like that he saw grass clippings left over on this maniac country lawn. He had the old company come back apparently, good riddens.

I think most of the companies/big ones around here are pricing out at $25~ per acre for anything over 1 acre.. Its rediculous. I have expensive machines, trucks, trailers to do large properties that i didnt have a few years ago, and now it seems theres no market? I hate tiny small lawns i dont get to have any "fun" and drive the machine around, but i make $30-$45 for smaller 1/2 acre jobs in developments or even 1/4 acres for $41 bi-weekly... No way am i cutting $50 for 2+ acres.

9. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Honestly, I would either get out of the business or move. I couldnt handle that. Im right in line pricewise with most of the bigger LCO's around here but I small enough to give personal touch when they wont.

I really dont know how you guys make it. Good luck.

10. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I will bag 6 acres............... for a price. Right now i get 140 to bag 2 full acres but im running 2 walkers it takes about 45 min maybe a little more. I like that yard i make good money especialy since i give my help the little walker with the pos small bagger and i run the one with the big hopper and high lift never get off my @ss for 30 min