1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

large area applications using utility vehicles

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassman177, Oct 22, 2007.

1. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

we are considering purchasing a Kubota rtv 900 for use with a spray tank and 12 ft boom for treating our ever increasing 100,000ftsq and up properties. it is getting to tiresome and time consuming to do by hand with a hose and handgun. anyone here use a similar type set up or have anything they can share it would be greatly appreciated.

we have found some realy great custom made tank systems desigined to fit particualr applications depending on which brand of utility vehicle you have. the Kubota has a 1200 lb capacity payload and a dump bed we can use for landscaping too. thanks
  2. fordnut

fordnut LawnSite Member

I use a honda 350 rancher with a 25 gal. tank on the back rack and a 11.5 ft. boom.It works great, I can cut the outside nozzles off and fold the boom up and spray just the width of the atv. Only problem is I have to be very careful, the tires will rip up yard in a turn. have to turn around real slow.
  3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

This is just my take...but why spend that much on a machine like that as it is gong to be too big an bulky.

You can spend 1/2 that and get a PG or Z-Spray and get just as much done and apply your fert at the same time.

If you use a sprayer on a rig like that you will still have to go back over it with dry. TIME=MONEY
  4. grassman177

we are also lookin at the zspray which i hear is superior to the pg, we are giong to be at he expo again this year, i guess like real soon eh! we are looking at many options. oh yeah, i dont think i will have to go over it with dry as you mentioned and i have thought of this. i would use a 1 gal per 1000 rate and my fert can be put at this. i would have a 100 gal tank so it would go far and i would be able to refill since i will have a 300 gal tank with me. it is all in the open for consideration thgoh. also like i mentioned before we would like to have a multi purpose machine i think. we already spread dry with one of three jrco spreaders we attach to our z turn mowers and this has gone pretty well. so we have money invested in dry spreading. It really is a toss up and a big decision and i very much appreciate ALL replies especially about anyone who uses the set up using a utility vehicle.
  5. grassman177

hey rcreech, i like your kubota buy the way, we use many of them. i have a ? also, you mention mole control as you service, what do u use and waht is your methods
  6. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been reading a lot about the Z-Spray units on here and it seems to be very popular and well built. It may be the answer Grassman...
    I'll look in Louisville and let you know Grassman...
  7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Yea....I love my Kubota B3030.

I aerate and see with it mostly.

You will hear the Z Spray guys say their machine is superior....but I have a PG Magnum and it is awesome. People always talk about the PG's having problems but they are all older style machines. I have heard nobody on here having problems with the Magum with is more comparable to the Z. Both machines are great I am sure...but I don't think one is better then the other. They both spread fert and spray. What could be so much better from one to the other?

I use Talparid and it is an aweosome product. I have been using it for about a year and it is a good $$$$$ maker. Takes three visits, but I GUARANTEE the service as it sells itself.

PM me if you need any details.

8. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

I use a toro multipro similar to the one pictured here. It works awesome for spraying large areas. We also use it on large commercial planting jobs to water trees. Its a very handy machine to have.[​IMG]

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

We used a ATV to spray a cemetery with didn't do a bad job. But it was a chore to keep a steady speed it had a digital speedometer that only read hole numbers. But was great as far as power went it was very hilly with some steep grades.Was tuff in small places but great in the wide open the tank was 25 gal a lot of refills a bigger would be nice but not on a 4 wheeler. we used TTI tips they spray big droplets like a chemlawn gun worked real good no over spray. Have you ever seen JDs Pro gator it can be set up for spraying they have a half of a picture one in the last lescos paper they put out. About the same type of a machine as kubotas 900 but it says not a ATV
    Charles Cue
  10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member