Large Area Mowing Gurus...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by paponte, Feb 10, 2005.

1. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I am putting together a bid, and one of the requirements stumped me just a little. It requires us to posess at least 1 mower that is rear discharge, must be capable of mowing 6.5-7 acres per hour, no more than 96" wide (total width), and have high floatation tires. Am I having a brain fart... or is there such a beast? Thanks!

2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah they are refering to a tractor with a rear discharge mower. meaning the 96" refering to the width of tractor and mower neither can be wider.

3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

sorry to post again, but you will need a 30-40hp tractor at the pto to operate a 72" rear discharge and get the 6.5-7 acre per hr.

4. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I had a turf blazer years ago it was a 91" rear discharge, ransom makes one, and i think JD makes one as well, as for the flotation tires you might have to buy them and have them put on.

5. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

What? Now clients can ask that we have a certain kind of mower?

Unbelievable

6. paponte

Oh sure, and they want bonds too. So if for some reason you breach the contract they can cash it out.

What is the weight going to be on a tractor of that size though. They also go as far as placing a lb. per sqft. allowance too. A little out of hand I know, but it is for 12 very large commercial buildings. Thanks for all the help so far guys! :)

7. R&R LawnService

R&R LawnService LawnSite Member

Kubota also makes a rear discharge option for there front mount mowers. These have 72in decks and 4WD.

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Rear discharge mowing decks can be had in mid mount style or tow behind. The weight on a 30 - 35 horse tractor will be 2500- 3500 pounds depending on model.
    Sounds like the've got some large drainage areas that may need to be maintaned or some other type of special need area, hence the requirement on the lbs/sq. inch.
    I'd take a close look at the site before quoting.

9. paponte

Yeah, I am setting up appointments for EVERY building. Something just sounds a little funny on this one. Hopefully they all arent covered in snow, and I can see whats going on. Since my largest mower is a 61", I would have to make sure I can justify purchasing at least 1 large machine capable of meeting their specs.

Thanks again for all the input guys! :)

10. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

why do they care how fast a mower can cut? I mean if you bid it who cares if takes you 1 hour or 4 hours. They will still pay the same price.
    ?????????????????? ;)