1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Large area mowing. Need comments from experienced LCO

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by o-so-n-so, Jul 27, 2004.

1. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I got to price a large area to be mowed. This is an old driving range that was purchased by a commercial company that has contacted me.
    Total coverage is 15 acres with about 5 acres to be maintained weekly. (the short grass in the photo). The overgrown stuff is to be bushogged during the growing season to maintain a pasture look. ( I figure 5 times a season)
    They will be a 100' X 200' building on the short grass just behind the containers later and the rest of that area will be mostly parking lot. But now it needs to be mowed regularly. It will include ditches to be trimmed.
    The lot goes back to the large trees in the back ground.

I have no experience in large area mowing. Tell me the scoop.

I have an Exmark 60" ZTR---Exmark 48" H. W/B--- a JD 4510 tractor. I don't own a bushog or a finish mower but will purchase one if I get the account.

Drive time is one hour. I will also get the landscaping job on the new building if I land the mowing contract.
    I'm not about working for free. What is a reasonable price or better than that How long will it take to do this job?

I thought 3 hours including drive time one way on just the finish mowing and trimming and 1 day on the bushogging.

Is that even close?????????

2. firekilr2

firekilr2 LawnSite Member

35 acre open mowing. 45 acre with trimming. Thats in northern Illinois and I am probably to cheap. Hope it helps.
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

3 hours including drive time per 5 acres of finish mowing and trimming?
    How many people?

Let me add,why would you want to drive an hour????
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Can you possibly be competitive having to pay employees for 2 hours of windshield time for one job?

Or is this 1 hour round trip?
  5. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

if they called you from an hour away....How many other guys do you think they called.

My thoughts are pass on it.
  6. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Thats my thoughts as well.

My contact said he could only get 1 person local to look at it and he would only do the finish mowing. I encouraged my contact to get a local LCO that I would have to get paid to drive. He wanted a dependable LCO.

I didn't really want to drive down to even look at the property.

I will put a 2 man crew on the finish mowing while having a completely different truck/trailer set up for the bushogging with a single man.

1 hour one way drive time. 5 total hours to finish mow from the shop and back to the shop. 1 eight to ten hour day to bushog total.

My # are $425.00 per to finish mow and $500.00 to bushog (I have no experience in the bushog area) per for an annual total of $14,750.00. Thats making a decent profit.

For some reason I just can't get fired up about this bid...............
  7. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

10 man hours thats $600.00 or $750.00 as some might suggest you know $1.00 a minute per man. Anything less and your going out of business you lowballing scrub.:D Just kidding

Your numbers look pretty good.
  8. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Hope all is well.Your mowing price looks good,but I think your bushhogging is underpriced,if it's 10 acres to bushhog and 5 to finish.
    Remember the subdivision we drove through near me?I know someone who is getting $75 per acre to bushhog it once per month.If it's 10 acres and you can swing $75 per,you'd be at $750 x 5 times per season.I'd bump the mowing price up to $500 just for the fact (1)you're heart isn't in it (2)drive time = more mileage on trucks and trailers(tires)etc.,,(3)and last but not least,they can't anyone else to do it.Heck,you're able to give them the full package.Why not take advantage of that?
  9. viking72

viking72 LawnSite Member

I find it hard to believe this company can not find someone to bush-hog 10 acres in rural Alabama. You might try to learn what the locals already known about this company.
  10. economiclawncare

economiclawncare LawnSite Member

i would go with $450-$500 for mowing and $895 to bush hog since it will have about 6 weeks of growth on it at a time and cuz you have to set up another truck for this.