Large area mowing???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Marek, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

Was wondering if anyone on here does any large area mowing, such as 12 acres plus.Looking at getting a 15' batwing finish mower and 100 hp tractor and was curious if anyone on here had tried this before and how it has worked out for you.Looking to keep the number of laborers down and picking up some time on some of our larger jobs.

2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i hear the batwing mowers cut really bad if you try to any faster than a slow walk, but ive never used one, 2 friends work for 2 different towns, that is what they had each said

3. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

12 acres? Buy a 72 inch mower and knock it out in like 2, 2.5 hours. Even low ball'n it at 35$ per acre is still $420 per cut. Not bad for 2 hours of work.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

15" batwing? Better find something bigger than 12 acres, more like 25 and up....and be ready to drop 40 grand or more if you are looking at new.

5. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

Well we have several 10+ acre lawns and the set up that I will be using is part of a deal for a company that we are trying to buy .The idea is to cut out some labor .I am partial to zero turns also but this guy has done several of his lawns this way for years.

6. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

i haven't used one personally but a good friend of mine had a big mower like this (he bought for just this one account).he told me him and his son started cutting the same time ,he was on this ,his son on a 61 scag tiger and his son cut 3/4 of the place in the time it took him to cut 1/4. it toke him so long because somtimes he had to run over it 2,3,4xs plus a zero turn saves so much turn around time verses a front mount . after 1 year it was gone and more Zs were bought

7. Are you refering to finish mowing or brushogging with a batwing.

8. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't see how 12 acres of mowing would justify the need of a batwing. I have a 25 acre sports comlex that takes two 60" ztrs 6 hours to mow.

9. double e lawncare

double e lawncare LawnSite Member

I was in the same boat- we have 2 tractors a small Kubota & a 85HP Case. We do developments and parks for the town our shop is in. We have come to the conclusion that Zero turns work best. When it came to developments we had to deal with street lights, elec. boxes, & real estate signs. The tractor was leaving to much touch up with string trimmers. We use the tractors now for strictly brush cutting dense lots- which works great.

I could understand where a batwing would come into play on large open areas. I figure you would need 25 to 50 plus acres to justify the batwing. We didn't go the batwing route b/c the developments we do will be developed within 2 years, and the on to the next if you even have any.

We are selling the 485 Case with bush hog for around $9500.00, I will take pics if interested. 302-745-3159

10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

You might want to consider a Toro batwing first. Think about hauling that 100 hp tractor and batwing. Big truck and big trailer for one piece of equipment. Gonna take lots of big jobs to pay for it.