Large area mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SWR11, Mar 29, 2003.

1. SWR11

SWR11 LawnSite Member

Wondering what to charge for a batwing mower behind farm tractor? 12 ft cut.

Do turf tires really make a diference on hard ground compared to ag tires?

What hp would be required to run a 12 ft?

Would love to talk to some large area mowing people.

2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I just picked up this JD 11' wide-area mower.

On existing accounts I'm charging the same as I charged with 72" mowers. This is effectively a price drop since the price is the same as last year and costs (esp fuel) have risen.

I'm figuring on bidding 5+ acres at about $45/ Acre, since nobody else around here can do it cheaper. A flat 5 acres would easily be completed in UNDER 1 hour yielding about $250/hour.

3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

At least 50 at a minimum, 65 to be well powered, and 85 to really have what you need.

Don't forget torque, that is what really matters. Engine torque should be 150 lb ft or more.

And deck efficiency. Efficient decks and sharp blades need less power.

4. New Brunswick? New Jersey?
    If so, you need turf tires. those cleats on ag tires really tear stuff up, wet or dry.
    Check these out:

I've found if you're doing contract mowing you can't wait on dry conditions.

Unless you already own that tractor/mower combination, you'd be better off with something like Albemarle Lawn just bought.
    If the price puts you off do like Albemarle Lawn did and find one with a few hours on it.

There's just no way a farm tractor can compete with a machine specifically dedicated to lawn mowing.

What to charge....

I charge like I was pushing a Lawnboy. :D

If someone's going to profit from my operation being more effecient, I think it should be me.

5. Dave
    New brunswick is a province in Canada
  6. Oh, thanks.

7. SWR11

SWR11 LawnSite Member

albemarle lawn

Is that A J D 4700??

That must have set you back. You're definitely the big dog!!!

I was going to pick up some out front mowers like deere's or kubota's.

Thanks guys
  8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

All bush hog deck manufactures have the PTO HP required to run their mowers listed on them when you are checking them out in the show room. With a large tractor you always want more HP then you will need. Don't go with the minimum HP required to run the deck.

9. RidgeCon

RidgeCon LawnSite Member

albermarle lawn

great looking mower, bought myself last year. Have you had a chance to mow with it yet. You will enjoy it. A few little things to watch out for, email me if you want and I can fill you in on them.
  10. RidgeCon

RidgeCon LawnSite Member

swr 11

What part of New Brunswick are you located in?:)