1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

large commercial bid advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stonemason, Apr 6, 2005.

1. stonemason

stonemason LawnSite Member

Putting a bid in on complex, biweekly mowing (12 cuts) consisting of 300 detached houses and townhomes scattered over 5 sq miles. these 300 are part of a 1700 unit complex. different square footage but averaged out to 1600 sq ft (of turf, front and back, about 5 min trim per unit). Second part is common areas (alot of long narrow islands) of about 120 acres scattered over about 7 sq mi. I need to get this all cut and trimmed in 6 days. Crew size (could add more in a pinch but don't really want to) is 4. One foreman and 3 labor. I can be on site 2 days out of the 6 with a 60" z to get some of the bigger areas. Crew will be running (tenatively) a 60" z and 3 quick 36, one 22" trim mower.

2. stonemason

...need your opinion as to whether the crew can get it done in the 6 days..

thanks for your help

3. stonemason

any opinions?

4. K&L Ent.

K&L Ent. LawnSite Member

I think you may be cutting that on a little close with only 4 people, do what you think is right but be able to get extra people/mowers if time gets tight, my opinion it probobly could be done with a crew of 4, but i would myself go with 1 extra mower and maybe 2 extra people, it's a tough call without being able to look at it firsthand

5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Two red flags gets my attention real quick on this one.

#1 - bi weekly mowing can eat u alive. Definately put in a claus that you will only cut 1/3 of the blade (most all mower manufacters recomendations) to produce suitable asthetics. Just to keep them from expecting u to cut 8" down to 2" and make it look good too.
    #2 - The rainy weather will always screw your schedule up

I hope u will be making killer $$ for this one, sounds like it may be a pita

6. stonemason

per cut will be around $10k. do you think thats good?