1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Large Commercial Bid

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MikeD520, Nov 7, 2007.

1. MikeD520

MikeD520 LawnSite Member

I've already submitted the bid, but would like to hear other companies' approach to pricing for a 75 acre parcel applying 3 applications of granular fertilizer, one liquid pre-emergent annual grass/post-emergent broadleaf combination application, one liquid pre/post annual grass control and one granular grub application. We approximately tripled our costs...

What is your approach to large turf management bidding?

Yes, we are licensed operators with sufficient equipment to handle this size contract and have been in business for several years.

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I just figure the cost of material per acre plus what ever mark up.
    How much time i will have in loading mixing how much fuel it will take. And how much i want per acre time how many acres there are. Do the want 2 pre apps. Are you going i count six trips around 77 acres or does your equipment allow you to make both dry and liquid apps at the same time
    Hope you get it
    Charles Cue
  3. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Looks to me like you are only on the property 3 times, is that accurate?
    one pre-emergent crabgrass, post broadleaf with fert
    one grub prevention with fert
    one post emergent crabgrass with fert
    I'll throw a number at it if this is true.
    Also, is it wide open, or does it have a lot of ins and outs?
    First look says somewhere b/t 50 and 60 but could be higher or lower depending on the above questions.

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

turf hokie
    I would only be there three times but the way he listed them .I was just wondering how he was plan on doing it
    Charles Cue
  5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

What is this 75 acres used for?
    What kind of grass is it?
    How do they want it to look (golf course or just a good lawn)?

This is just me....but personally I would get as much info as possible and if this lawn is just going to be mowed and not used for anything, I would just do two apps a year.

I do a lot of large acreages (none are 75 acres), and I only do a spring and fall app. Both are broadleaf/fert apps.

Why do more if all they are going to do is mow. You could throw in a crabgrass app maybe.

I would just be honest with them as they will respect you much more and I think you can charge more for two apps.

Works good for me. Good Luck!

Thats just my take...as it gets me tons of work.
  6. turf hokie

I would agree with rcreech in that the grub control probably is a waste on most of the property and going to price you out of the running. Only apply the grub control around the buildings where there is high visibility
    However, the largest property that I have ever done was 60 acres and 2 apps around here just wasnt enough. We would do a pre/post/fert spring, a summer fert/spot treat broadleaf/curbline post crabgrass and a fall post/fert.
  7. MikeD520

MikeD520 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the posts! The property is a National Veterans Cemetary. There are a lot of rows. The bid is calling for 6 visits, three individual fertilizations (two are applied at the same rate and the third is applied at a higher rate, but all of which must be calibrated prior to application since they are different than the label rates), one individal Merit application, one individual combination of pre crabgrass and post broadleaf, and a second pre/post crabgrass application. Since it is the final resting place for the military they are fairly concerned with appearance. The exact timing for each of the 6 applications are dictated in the proposal. We have permagreens, so we can spread/spray simultaneously, but each application is either granular or liquid, not a combo. We did not bid on cutting, but frommy understanding that is already contracted.

I appreciate your feedback!

8. turf hokie

That must be a public bid, what did it go for??
    I bid a cemetery this spring and it was only 20 acres. I bumped my normal prices up 30% for the head ache of the head stones. The 3 bids were all within 10% of each other and they decided not to award it. kept it in house.
  9. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

Sound unusual for them to preset conditions on fert, with out first finding proper info on soil analysis, or conditions that promote the use of merit! But, I guess its like that everywhere, conditions to met at cost favorable only to those who set the standard with out the understanding of the conditions that favor
    invasions in the first place. Kinda make the difference between pro and cons? don't you think?
  10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I do two cemetaries...one is 18 ac and the other is 23 ac.

I do two apps and they look great (they are tall fescue and are semi shaded).

Keep it green and the weeds out. That is all my cemetaries want.

I am surprised they want to spend that much on a 75 acre cemetary. That is some $$$$$$.

You will love using a PG in a cemetary. If you have a Mag you can point your nozzle on a 45 degree angle and get a 12' pattern. Works good for me because the stones are 12' apart in the cemetaries here.

Did 23 acres in 9.5 hours (with filling).