Large Commercial Job

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by RwADesigner, Nov 23, 2002.

1. RwADesigner

RwADesigner LawnSite Member

Hey guys..

I am currently sub contracting my huge irrigation projects out to a local irrigation guy. I am bidding a commercial job right now that includes lots of landscaping and a pretty nice size irrigation.

The irrigation guy i just started doing business with said he would do commercial irrigation jobs for $2000/zone. This job i am bidding has 45 zones. I know we wont win the bid at $2000/zone, so i am wondering if any of you go down in price for more zones like this. Does your price stay the same no mattter how many zones? Or do you compromise if your # of zones goes up.....?

Please give any feedback as soon as you can...Thanks

2. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

If some guy tells you 2000 a zone, he has no idea what he is doing.

Find someone that will give you a bid based on Time and materials

3. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

he must think that he will bid it high enough so he doesnt have to do any estimating, I would discontine his service and find a contractor that will bring some real experience to the table

4. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a guy that has a clue. You can't bid by the zone, by the head, square ft or anything else. You have to know what your costs of doing business are and the desires profit. There are 308,000 + posts on lawn site. There are some questions that have been discussed before.

5. MPhillips

MPhillips LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

It may be too big/complex a job for the guy to handle so sending in a completely (seemingly) ridiculous bid is his way of walking away from it. If that's not the case I agree with everyone on the board who says the guy is too clueless to be a reliable source. If you're selling this king of work maybe you should hir an irrigation guy and start doing it, or get up to speed yourself.

6. RwADesigner

RwADesigner LawnSite Member

thanks for the input guys.

All was taken well

We can do smaller residential irrigation jobs no problem and we dont do enough irrigation jobs right now/per year to hire an irrigation guy. I am going to talk to that irrigation guy today and see what we can come up with. He has 2 offices and does good work so i know he is reliable. He probably just told me a 2000/zone just to be safe. But i know from bidding landscaping, that you cant just give a definate price without looking at the plan and be competitive or sure.

So thanks alot for your replies.

7. WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll do it for 1500 per zone, site unseen and bring all my guys up from Arizona/Colorado. That 1500 per zone of course will not include lodging and expenses but I can still beat 2000 per zone pretty easily.

I'm serious by the way.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I'm in with ya Tony! :)

9. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

1499 per zone........haha