Large Concrete Demo, pricing and calculations.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by DIGitDirt, Jan 27, 2010.

1. DIGitDirt

DIGitDirt LawnSite Member

HI guys, I have a bid coming up and was looking for some expert opinion on the subject matter.

The job is around a county courthouse, removal of all concrete sidewalks for updates etc.. I will be able to dump for free at my yard (hour away) for sure; however, the area is surrounded by Ag and people normally fight for broken up concrete around here to use in place of rip rap so finding somewhere within 20 mins of courthouse is likely.

I will be using a larger mini x (Rubber Track w/thumb) / skid steer to do my removal and loading and hauling away with my tri axle mack. I am looking for an avg price many of you go by to start and adjust from there. Here are the numbers I am looking at.

Roughly 15,287.5 SQ FT
    165.5 Cubic Yards of Concrete

I figure in a perfect world 8 loads in Mack.
    With a little room to play I am saying 12.

Local Dump Fees if I were to haul to dump are $32.00 x ton for concrete and the dump in my home town (hour away) is $12.40 x ton.

Also what do you all charge for saw cutting in concrete? All concrete on job is 3-4 inches thick. Thanks Guys let me know.

I have come up with a number I believe will be competitive in the market, let me know your guys opinions. Thanks

$ 15,750 for a total.. that is me giving 4 days to complete the project. I do think it will be broken up into 2-4 phases as well as to not completly cut off access to courthouse during renavation.

2. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Most Dump trucks here will not hold that much concrete . 8 Loads at 165 yards of concrete equals 20 yards a load. Concrete weighs about 3500 pounds a yard so thats 35 tons a load. Trucks here are maxed at 22 tons.

I figured 265 tons of material.

Closer dump will be 8500 in dump fees.
    The cheaper dump will be 3500 in dump fees.

I guess a min of 3 guys 2 pieces of equipment and a truck.

4 days for truck here is 75 an hour = 2400
    4 days mini at 75 an hour = 2400
    4 days skid at 75 an hour =2400

If you saw cut it costs on that ?

I see about 15 loads of material myself.

If you dump for free at your house the job looks good at your price. If you have to pay to dump then the margins are to close for my likings.
  3. curtisfarmer

curtisfarmer LawnSite Senior Member

Doesn't that just burn you up...$32 ton to dump, after someone paid X dollars for the original concrete. Up here crushed concrete sells for $9+ per ton.
  4. DIGitDirt

You are correct, I mis read some information. Concrete will be roughly 275 Tons. I have adjusted my price to compensate.. New Price will be in the 17,500 range. I will be able to dump on my property (Gulllies) if need be. I will have a nice profit margin in job if I land it. Any other opinions?
  5. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

I may be wrong, but im thinking sombody will under bid you at that price.
  6. DIGitDirt

Yeah I am kinda thinking as well... I guess that seeing as i know I wont have dump fees I can cut the price a little. I just dont want to leave money on the table, I am new to the bidding process on larger jobs. We have done the work just never been in charge of bidding it on larger scale jobs. Do you think the 15,268 is more competitive or is that the price you were referring to as to be undercut?
  7. DIGitDirt

I just dont see how someone could bank on not having dump fees and really undercut this.. to me that is not smart business, I know times are tough but dump fees can make or break this job. Is it common practice for someone to undercut knowing they will not have dump fees? At the price I am figuring 15,268 I should net in the 9500 range. With dump fees I would be just about losing money. Do people bid to prices they would be losing money if they had to pay dump fees?
  8. mudmaker

mudmaker LawnSite Member

It never ceases to amaze me how low some people will bid things. Sometimes it really leaves you scratching your head after the bid opening.
  9. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

SO you think $9500 profit for 4 days is going to get the bid in todays economy? I just don't see that happening. But I can always be wrong too.
  10. ioilyouin

ioilyouin LawnSite Senior Member

Are you wet behind the ears? I have competitors bid on work assuming that the supplier will give them a price break based on their bid. Not only that, I 've seen them place bids where they loose money on every unit they sell, and the supplier assures me that we have the same price (which is illegal if not the same, but I have no way to prove it). Another tactic is bid a bunch of work cheap and dangle it out to the suppliers like bait and use them against each other. Lots of people will bid work just to turn the wheels. What ever your margin was for the work involved seem awfully lofty. If you get it, I'm moving to your neck of the woods to give you hell. Sorry, that was my GR moment for the day.