Large Decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cooter, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Cooter

Cooter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

How many of you use decks larger than 60"? What are the pros or cons of a bigger deck? Do you feel the time saved is sometimes worth some missed grass or a few scalped spots? Also do they handle tall grass say 7 or 8" as well as a smaller deck? I currently have a 48" and a 60" but am looking to save some time on larger properties that are 3 plus acres.

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Our 72" cuts tall grass better then the 2 60's. Also If you know how to run one you will not scalp any more then a 60

3. Cooter

Cooter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

What type of mower are you using? I was also wondering if they were still capable of mulching very well? Any comments would be helpful, thank you.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We run a couple of 72's (Ferris and Toro) units...they are time savers for sure.

5. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

How much more power dies the 72 take than the 60 to run? I noticed when I hit the PTO on a 72 is drags the motor down alot to get the blades going.

6. tgaskill

tgaskill LawnSite Member

I run an Exmark 60 & 72 and unless I have to use the 60 you'll always find me on the 72. Just like dcondon said "Also If you know how to run one you will not scalp any more then a 60"

7. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

If you are to go to 72" deck consider diesel power. Our John Deere 997 with 31 horsepower diesel can outrun and out-cut our John Deere 655 54" with 25horsepower gas, BUT it is not known for its manuverability in tights spots or on hills. We are using it strictly as an open terrain machine

8. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

The 72...and the 60 size decks both have there place In this Industry.
    If I had to choose just 1 machine It would be a 60"...Shure the 72 will cut your time down a bit...as long as you have the property to put It On.
    If there are alot of Dips then the 72 can be the worong Machine for the job...IMO. 3 Acres...a 60" can buzz that off preaty fast as well.
    The 72" will have more hanging out normaly for trimming ...But that can dig In the turf when say your coming off a hill.
    All In all the 72 Is ok but you also need a smaller machine like a 60 or at least a 54 to go with your route.

9. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto... Of all the LCOs that I know in my area (myself included), we are all running decks between 50" and 60" presicely because of the mentions above...

10. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

How much more power does a 72 take?