Large diameter auger bit/short?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Shawn260, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Shawn260

Shawn260 LawnSite Member

I am looking for a large maybe 24" diameter or bigger auger bit ( use to plant b&b plant material) but this bit must be short because it is going on a sub-compact tractor I currently have a 12" bit for it, about 3' tall and it will allow me to easily plant 3,5 & 7 gallon plants. The machine has no trouble with the 12" bit so I beleive it would handle a much larger bit, fine. I would prefer the bit to be very short though because its only use to me would be planting material and a short bit is easier to deal with. does anyone have any suggestions on where this type of bit could be found?

2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

I have several bits that I have bought at auctions in the past couple of years. What you need to do is to know the diameter of the shaft that connects to your auger. From there, you can always cut away some length if you need to. I see a lot of these bits showing up at consignment auctions, and if you're a good welder/rigger, its not too hard to find a bargain.

3. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the larger bits are manufactured shorter than the smaller ones . My 36 for the Dingo is shorter than my 15 . I would check with your farm equipment dealer and see how long their bits are. The inside diameter varies - the Dingo bits are quite a bit larger than the ones for the auger on my Ford 2000 tractor .