Large Job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Dodge Truck, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Dodge Truck

Dodge Truck LawnSite Member
    from Mass

I got a call the other day for a land clearing opportunity. Its about 9 acres of mostly brush and some trees nothing very large.
    I am going to use a bobcat with the forestry attachment and a few chainsaws for the trees.
    It was a hay field 25 years ago so the trees on it aren't very old or big.
    I was thinking about bidding it at 20K with an estimated time of a week to do with four guys. what do you think.
    Just wondering what others charge around the country per acre of heavy brush with minimal trees?
    Thanks

2. Dodge Truck

from Mass

Here are some pics

vinton2.jpg

vinton.jpg

3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Are you renting the equipment? By forestry mower, do you mean the type that has carbide teeth on the roller that mulches? Why not use a bush hog/brush cat?

4. Dodge Truck

from Mass

The bobcat forestry cutter/mulcher, yes the teeth. renting the attachment yes.
    A brush hog wouldn't be very effecient

5. andrewcarrigan

andrewcarrigan LawnSite Member
    from alberta

do u need to burn or remove what you cant mulch,if we would charge 1800-2300 per acre. by the pics it looks easy your cost should be no more than 5000. good luck!!

6. Dodge Truck

from Mass

no everything is just being piled on site (makes life easy) they want to burn it so its not my problem. Yes my cost are under 5K. Just wanted to hear what others charge, I was very much inmline with you. Anyone else?

7. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

that should not take a week to do at all and around here 20k would be laughed at. 10k would be high for me. but if you can get it and its not up for bid get 20k then

8. Dodge Truck

from Mass

well on part of it there are a lot od trees but in general its heavy brush and its on ahill
    for here its probably low

9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Sounds high for here as well, but I imagine that New England market might be totally different. What is your machine charge per hour and manual labor per hour? and how many hours are you thinking?

Another question... why do you need four guys... limbing trees? I was under the impression(and from the work I have seen) that forestry mulcher could mulch everything up to 8-9" thick? Also are they wanting you to mulch into the dirt or just above the dirt?

10. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i can rent a larger machine for 150 an hour and do that job in less then 10 hrs by myself. if it were in michigan i would make a lick on it for 5k.