Large Lake Maintenance

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by EagleLandscape, Apr 1, 2008.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Hey guys,
    I'm bidding on an HOA that has a large lake that is fed by a stream and they have a set of specs on the requirement list that I want to run by you. I know the lady that wrote these, and she knows nothing about landscaping, so I'm sure these are way off.

Let me preface this by saying the current landscape company is terrible and their contract is being terminated this month.

The home owners just want to lake to be clean of debris (leaves) and they have had an algae problem in the summer months in the shallow areas. they have Israeli carp and probably some other random fish.

"Lake/Canal:

Chemical application (weekly)
    Cleaning canal (weekly)
    Removing debris and trash from garbage can at north end of canal (weekly)
    Cleaning south end of lake (weekly)
    Cleaning out debris in overflow hole (weekly)
    Removal of all leaves, limbs, debris and trash (weekly)
    Weeding of lake walls (monthly)"

I doubt a once a week treatment on the lake is anywhere near acceptable, seems like chemical overload to me.

If you go to:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...ayer=c&cbll=32.914323,-96.798597&cbp=1,0,,0,5
    and it switch to satellite view, it is the lake and stream that is in between the streets vendome pl and elysian ct.

Comments?

2. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

What are the chemical apps for? Weed/algae control? If so, that should be applied monthly or bi-monthly, and if they keep fish in it they should be avoided all together for the sake of the fish. If it is for grass and weed control, see about adding some diploid carp(sterile, cannot reproduce) to the lake.

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

So if there is fish, no chemicals whatsoever. How can I combat the algae?

4. Fishwhiz

Fishwhiz LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Have them look into stocking Triploid (sexually sterile) grass carp if the algae you are mentioning is filamentous algae ( the slimy stringy stuff).

I just looked at the arial photos, those ponds are pretty disgusting. Algae would improve the look of the mud hole appearance! Is the water really that chocolate brown?

They are likely hooked into someone selling them lake management products from a range of chemicals etc. I'd get a more accurate description of what each of your bid items even entails.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Does this lake have an arator?