Large Lawn Renovation Need Advice

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Chattybirds, Jul 22, 2010.

1. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Senior Member
    from Raleigh

Thanks for the link TB! I didn't know there were so many hydro contractors in our area.

When I get a handle on timing I'll shoot you a PM and see if you want to come down.

Hopefully by the end of the year.

btw I know that IBM campus - my son used to work there as a programmer.

thanks again
    jon

2. Chattybirds

Chattybirds LawnSite Member

you both have valid points, if i dont compact the soil with a roller, would it be safe to run a tractor over top the loose soil with a pull behind spreader without disrupting the soil to much? or is that where i should spread it with a walk-behind spreader?

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Run the tractor over it when it is dry, to minimize the damage. Hopefully the ruts will disappear, when you soak it down.
    The thing I always noticed with pulling a roller around with the tractor, that the tractor ruts also appeared in the roller track. Harder for the ruts to blend in under those circumstances... At least in heavier soils.

4. Fireguy97

Fireguy97 LawnSite Senior Member

This is all great advice, but as was said before, without an irrigation system to keep the seed moist during germination, you will be back to the same situation as you have now. If you can't keep the turf irrigated, you will have an ugly mass of weeds/lawn again.

Don't forget to get before, during, and after pictures.

Mick

5. Smallaxe

We had 3 acres of renovation in a woods. What we did, was level, add topsoil, seed by hand and run a hose to the spot and had it go everyday, until it germinated. Then we were ready to seed the next spot.
    Fortunately, the HO on that job believed, that it is better to do one spot well, than to deal with mediocrity or failure, over all.

6. Cloud9Landscapes

Cloud9Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ca

+1 on the irrigation. Any lawn should have a irrigation system.

7. Smallaxe

Another method, that was commonly done, on large areas w/out irr.; was to prep the lawn then put the seed down after the growing season was over. Relying on winter snow and spring rains to establish the entire area.
    Cut high to eliminate the CG getting started next season, rather than the Pre-M. You do not want to stunt the root growth, of young plants trying to establish, b4 the hot dry summer.

8. Chattybirds

Chattybirds LawnSite Member

ok smallaxe, makes good sense...Thanks everyone for posting! much appreciated!