1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

large leaf boxes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GTLC, Nov 17, 2003.

1. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

How long can you go with a full-sized leaf box on the back of a pickup with an 8 foot bed before having to dump it? on a day that you were only doing leaf clean-ups? any pics you can show me of your setup?
  2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on how fast you fill it. :D

Don't know what your getting at, but we can dump 50yds of shredded leaves in a day of cleanups. :cool:
  3. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on your leaf loader & how wet the leaves are. I fill mine in 20 to 30 min. with 9'x8' rack dump.
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

yeah it really depends. I already took mine off because i'm done with it for the most part (rest can go in bed or trailer). But I found that I could get the equivalent of three average half acre lawns in it generally, for ones that were maintained weekly. I know that’s very vague but I usually could use it two afternoons before having to dump. Of course I leave them (pun intended) at curb if the customer will let me and I let them know it will be cheaper because I don’t like hauling them if I don’t have to. My box used one complete 4x8 sheet of plywood on each side of the box so it was 4’ high from the top of the bed and 8’ long and 6’ wide. But add in 18” or so for bed height. I think I calculated 9.77 cubic yards (remember take your cubic feet and divide by 27 to get your cubic yards) And to manually unload them with a steel rake (lost my pitchfork somehow) if it’s dry you can unload a full truckload of dry somewhat fluffy (not packed real tight) leaves in around 20 minutes by yourself. If wet and or packed tight it might take almost double that time and it’s a lot harder on you.
  5. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

I have the same setup and I dump mine an average of 2 times per day
  6. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

This all depends on how much the leaves are shredded before loading, and the method used for loading. Any way though, you're looking at a lot of unloading.
  7. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

I am thinking of building a homemade wooden leaf-box trailer. Anybody else done that?
  8. capt.craig

capt.craig LawnSite Member

I also have a 4ft high 8 foot long box hooked up to a 13hp billy goat loader . they say 11to 1 ratio I had a load that was between 3/4 and full fairly wet leaves took it to the dump and the leaves weighed 1780 lbs and as I said it wasn't a full load Craig
  9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Well my box is 11 x 8 x 6 I figure roughly 18 yards when loaded. With the 20 hp giant vac I load with iv filled it completely as much as 2 times a day and that’s with doing the clean ups id love to get me a 30 yard box but truth is that wouldn’t last a full day either my state just gets a lot of leaves.
  10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member