Large Leaf Cleanup, How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BSDeality, Nov 9, 2005.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Scenario: Property is +/- 2 acres of solid leaves, not a square inch of turf or driveway to be found. The homeowner says he wants them pushed into the woods at two opposite ends of the property. You cannot "fan" them out over the rockwall in the back of the property (see pics) because the neighbor complained in years past (before you took over).

How do you do it?
    How long is going to take?
    What do you charge?

cleanup1.jpg

cleanup2.jpg

cleanup3.jpg

cleanup4.jpg

2. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

well what equipment do you have? i would blow as many leaves as possible in piles and loade them in to a leaf loader and or bag them up with my mower thats what i would would do using my equipment what stuff are you using?

3. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

dang now thats alot of leaves . i wouldn't blow 'em i might rent a broom tractor and sweep em all to a central location for a leaf loader . maybe ?;)

4. BSDeality

you're going to bag 2 acres of 100+ year trees? you must be joking?

You were on track with the leaf loader option, however lets say you don't have one at your disposal.

5. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

well in that case you could still use a broom tractor and sweep em strait up the ramp onto your trailer .

6. BSDeality

i suppose you could rent a broom tractor and push them onto the trailer, but then why not eliminate the trailer and just push into the woods,

But, you don't own the broom tractor, how much does it cost to rent?, fuel? and run? you'll still need a WB + backpack to get teh job done right. Can you get it done in one day? or are you stuck with a 2 day rental?

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Dang, that looks like a nightmare! In my area that would reach the threshold of pain at about 100 bucks(what the client will pay) so I would not have to worry about doing it, let the cheapo lawn service have it. Im not sure how to price that being our leaves are different from yours but that looks like a good money maker if you have the equipment for it. Are you doing it by yourself or have help. I would not want to tackle that by myself. I done one similar to that my first year in biz but was only a 1/4 acre of straw and leaves and I lost my arse on it. Estimated 2 hours and it took 6!

8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a 2.5-3 acre resi like that. We use push blowers, rider w/ peco vac, rakes, tarps, truck loader & 7 backpack blowers. We are there weekly for the turf, but the beds get done year end. Probably totals $1750-$2000 for the fall months.

9. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Go rent a straw blower and blow them all into a pile and then use a leaf loader. Shouldnt take more than a hour or two to get them all in a pile and sucked into dump box.

10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

WOW! I can relate to those, as I have my share (since were both in CT) I dont see any way beside the leaf loader. Thats entirely too many to blow and tarp. Im baffled.

What town is that disaster in anyway?