Large leaf job advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfeater, Oct 9, 2007.

1. turfeater

turfeater LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I have a very large leaf job 800+ $ Including some big beds that will need to be blown out ... I was going to mulch them ,then use my brinly lawn sweeper ...for lack of better equipment .I don't what to invest in a vac just yet ...
    Will this work ok? I have about 20 hours figured to do it plus hauling leaves out ... Thanks Rt

2. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

I have quite a few properties with an abundance of leaves on them. For the last 3 years, I've been grinding them up with the Z and walking away. Yards look good and no complaints what so ever. I haven't bagged anything in 3 years. Bagging takes to much time as far as I'm concerned. Time is money!

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Is this 20hrs by yourself? I have no idea what a Brinly lawn sweeper is but all I can tell you is without the right tools this jobs sounds like its going to be big ones. Might be time to invest in some better equipment. Maybe look into subbing it out until next year and pocket 100 bucks for doing nothing and look for some smaller ones while this big one is getting done.

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

We do all kinds of cleanups in the fall and our line up includes and commercial leaf vac, 2 Echo 403s, 2 Echo 755s, tarps, and rakes. From what you describe that you have I would pass on this one this year. It doesn't sound like you have the equipment you will need to get the job done.

5. turfeater

turfeater LawnSite Member
    from ohio

thanks for the advice ....... The sweeper is a normal lawn sweeper ..I have a
    48"ferris and a 60 " exmark to mulch with i'll must likly use the lazer .It at most should take 2 hrs x 2 I'm doing them in 2 stages "request of customer "
    Blow out bed about 2 hrs x2 then pay labor about 50 bucks ,,,rest is loading and hauling ...area is about 11/2 acre many trees and boardering ...
    thanks

6. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

i have some yards that me and my helper do that takes us about 10hrs and 3 truck loads with the leave vac. I use my leaf plows and they are a big tim saver on moving the leaves to the truck.
    As for mulching, i dislike doing it as it builds up in the yard(hense dethatching the next year), and can sometimes be a pin to vaccum up.
    You might try raking up the thick areas then try out the sweeper on the light stuff to see how that goes.