Large Leland Cypress install

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Bunton Guy, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 150 Leland's to install at a home (2+ acres) I have never planted leland cypress for a screen ...we usually go for Hollies or wax myrtles
    but in this case they wanted lelands.

1st Q. Do I need to tree rope & tie these down since we are suseptable to ice storms?

2nd Q. What kind of warranty do you allow for non irrigated properties?
    I usually offer non irrigated properties 90 days labor & material /1 year labor
    only

I factored into the price that we could possible loose 20 in the first 90 days hopefully at worst.:hammerhead:

2. FATWEASEL

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

1. I've can't say that I've ever seen leylands tied. Couldn't hurt but I personally wouldn't waste my time. What size are you putting in?

2. Right now, 6 months labor and plants.

3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

What size leland will you be planting? I would think 15 gallon or less would not need staking, but I don't have ice. Sounds like a profitable install if you use an auger. I would be wary of any type of warranty w/out irrigation. Why don't you upsell a drip system and offer a warranty?

4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bunton Guy,

I've done lots of Leylands, but prefer Yoshio Cryptomeria over the Leylands. Have you showed your customers these? They are more resistant to diesase and also bag worms.

Anyway... to answer your question more directly.. I have installed lots of these and have usually not tied them up. The main deciding factor would be what size tree you are installing? All of the bigger ones that I have installed (6'-20' b&b) I have never had a need for tying them. Also, this time of year you shouldn't loose that many.. even without irrigation. They dont even need any water this time of year period, even b&b.

5. Bunton Guy

They are 15 gallon

6. MudslinginFX4

Personally, I think I would skip on tying them up. This would add a lot of time to the job and extra cost. I however... would not warranty these trees if they were damaged because of Ice. This is considered mother nature, and not my problem.

I guess either way.. give the customer the choice and the different prices.

7. Bunton Guy

Right now he is set of 150 of them spaced out every 8 or so feet. And in March we are going to space something offset between them but a little infront for color purposes. Might put some Osmanthus san jose or Loropetalum's. We've sat down and tried to get this guy to think into the future on just how large these Cypress will get....and with a one track mind he only will be in the house for 5-7 years so he wants color & screen ASAP.

The best part about the project is they are going roughly 15 feet from the woods line so we wont have to auger in a perfectly straight line. He wants us to follow the natural curve of the property:dancing:

He owns 8-10 fully wooded acres....that's all the privacy one would normally need. (must be nudists?) I wasen't asking questions about why the 10 acres of woods around the house wasent enough because I saw $$$:drinkup:

8. MudslinginFX4

Don't blame you at all. I don't question customers anymore... we do what they want and how they want it. I will offer my opinions if they aren't already set on what they want. It amazes me that I do this for a living, but homeowners still KNOW exactly how to do something (even though they have no clue). I don't argue anymore with them.

9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Man that sounds like a sweet job. I bet you could finish it in a day and a half w/ 3 guys... maybe even one day.

10. FATWEASEL

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

If you don't mind me asking, what are you paying for 15 gallon leylands and what kind of height do they have sitting on the ground?