1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Large LLC Scoops up President!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big Salmon, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Big Salmon

Big Salmon LawnSite Member

Anyone ever heard of a thing? Last summer the owner of a larger LCC came in and got in the pants of the president of my townhome complex (A rather large one), because he was mad that I got the contract for the season. Mid season he starts showing up (while we were working on making the property look great), and laughing at us while he would leave. Low and behold, the crazy president had signed a 3 year contract with them behind my back during one of these "dates". She had been very pleased with all of the service we offered them up to date, so she said. I found out from another LCC who I'm friends with and said he has done that on numerous occasions to other companies. Being that I am not a dude to back down and let some hot shot, mid twenties, over spending on equipment but head do this to anyone else, should I pull his crap with him? Or should I keep a level head and hopefully the good prevail in the end???
  2. Sin City Lawn Care

Sin City Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I take it you didnt have a contract with them?

But you left the door open for him to do it by not having a contract with a commercial account. Sucks but dont sink to that level. live and learn and get a contract signed. oh when she finds out that he is banging someone else she will fire his a@@ contract or no contract!
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You mean should you go sleep with some of the managers of the places he does? That, I cannot answer.....If he has this arrogant, cocky attitude, and he did whatever it took to get these accounts, I would FIRST find out what kind if price he's coming in at. If it was counterable, then I would do it. It siounds like he MAY have more overhead than you do (athough that doesn't ALWAYS affect the bottomline net). But yeah,...welcome to the world of apt. complexes. I have written on here several times over the years about apt. complexes and how they work. Do a search and use my name, and you will come up with some information....
  4. Big Salmon

Ya, your right. It was a last minute pick up and they wanted a month to month service for the summer and then would decide what to do at the end of the growing season, contract wise. Like I said, everything was going great, people liked the work we were doing. On time, professional...yada yada yada. No more seasonal contracts for T-Homes. That is the first crappy experience like that getting burned by somebody. I learned my lesson
  5. Big Salmon

No, I wasnt talking about sleeping with, I thought more like targeting his accounts as he plows them this winter. See him all the time. Doesnt know how to run a plow worth a crap
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

No, I would call the owner of the complex and discuss the issue with them.
    You never know what you might find out.

See situations like that are a 'conflict of interest' on the part of both parties.

You might just find out the site manager made up some story of her own about you quitting in order to axe you in order to hire the new boyfriend lawn service... and I would not be surprised if it's at a higher rate either.

I've had this happen to me too and I wouldn't take it lying down.
  7. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

If you know any residents at all,talk to them and get the people who
    actually pay for this stuff to kick manager butt.Keep an eye on it this year to see if quality suffers.