Large Maintenance Project Bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Goblin, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Green Goblin

Green Goblin LawnSite Member

Well at least large by my standards. Here's the numbers.
    82500 sqft to be mowed with 21" and bagged. Moderately Wooded.

343000 sqft to be mowed with 48" or thereabouts. Moderately wooded.

450000 sqft to be mowed with 60" open.

26700 lineal ft. to be edged bi monthly

Hedge to be trimmed @ 2' tall 1500' linear ft.

Hedge to be trimmed @ 4' tall 980' linear ft.

Hedge to be trimmed @ 6' tall 470' linear ft.

Trees to be limbed up lightly to clean up and keep looking nice. Average height 15' 470 trees.

There are several other factors but I am more confident on them. Things of note are that of this mowing they are spread out within a large neighborhood. Probably 10 different locations at a tops of 5 minutes from each other. Most mowing is road frontage going into the neighborhood, a few retention basins, an open field or two, and everything that has to be bagged is on medians that run the course of the main road. All hedge trimming is mainly on the medians which means it will be easy to get to. I'm mostly interested in what you think your time to mow this would be (with everything combined, edging blowing trimming etc.) How long total to hedge everything, and how long to trim trees?

I'd also appreciate some considerations I should take into consideration that I wouldn't initially think of when taking on a larger account.

This is a homeowner association for a higher end neighborhood. They are accepting bids for the coming year as the old provider is causing them to wonder if they are getting the best value for their dollar. They have been there a long time. They say they want someone to be more proactive and honest.

I'll reply immediately to any comments and appreciate all help. I have some numbers already but I want to see what others are coming up with.

2. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Im curious why 82500 sq ft has to be mowed with a 21"? Any way to avoid this and use a bigger mower to speed things up and be more competetive with your bid.

3. Green Goblin

Not really. This is a narrow median with trees on it. Can't really get larger mower on it. There is a possibility that you could get larger one on some of it but right now it is mowed with 21". And they want it bagged but I think you could talk them into using 21" mulching and be ok.

4. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Its really hard to say how long it will take without actually looking at it, and even then its just an estimate. Ask if you can do it once to get an idea of time involved. Ive done this before and it works great. The way I bring up the idea is just say this is a large bid with many factors, you need to do the job so that the bid can be fair on both sides, and mention that this way they can get an idea of quality of work you and your company can perform for them. If the account gets underbid and due to its size it will only make your season nightmare and when its rebid the following year at a much higher rate they probably wont renew. I have way underbid before as Im sure you have and it sucks.

5. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

with the info you gave just for the mowing, i roughly came up with 17.28 man hrs @ $60 per hr = $1037 for mowing trimming and blow. not counting the 5 miles of edging and cleanup for that. Bidding a job larger than i normally would do I tend to bid a little higher than what my figures come out so if you are under your not under so far and if somebody else beats you out they are going to do it for less. I'd rather not have the bid if I'm not going to make money on it. Goodluck Marc

6. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i was thinking around 1000 for mow, edge, blow

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

21" mower
    Bagged
    Many obstacles(trees)
    Of course this is site unseen,more than one location,20 acres with only half being done with a productive mower for this acreage.JMO.

8. Green Goblin

I came up with some 55 hours of mowing. This includes the bagging, having to travel from spot to spot, lots of edging, two long fence lines on road frontage, a long tree line, lots of manuevering in and out of areas, lost time due to overlap of extended sidewalks, sloping and hills in detention areas, and the fact that these people will want top quality. I don't want to be too low and be in trouble.

9. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

Lets get back to the mowing. This sounds like a large HOA I bid these every week and I think you're leaving out your moneymakers. Herbicides, Seeding, Pine Straw/Mulch and Annual Flowers just to name a few. How does the Job Scope read? I'm sure they're not outside contract and if they are whatÂ’s to keep the HOA from bidding that out too? Mowing is only a part of this job and most likely not the most profitable part. One other thing will you be working directly for the HOA or a Management Company? The reason I ask is on a project this large you'll want a Management Company as a buffer from the homeowners. I've only got 2 large HOA's that are self managed and I will not bid these after the contract is up unless they hire a Management Company. As for the mowing, 3 man crew 7 hours (site unseen) $1200 per-cut x 38 cuts divided by 12 payments $3800 a mth for mowing only.

10. Green Goblin

Flowers, mulch, aeration are all included but I am much surer of how I bid these than the mowing. I shoulda taken some pics and put them up but I have already submitted my bid. I think a lot of your time will be slowed by having to move from place to place, bag with 21" and from trees and curblines you have to jump from place to place.