large mow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tufguy100, Mar 7, 2008.

1. tufguy100

tufguy100 LawnSite Member

have a contract to mow 80 acre park was wondering if any of you guys use bat wing mowers arond 11 to 15 feet wide any sug on brand or exp with these mowers

2. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

I would get about a new holland tractor and a 16 foot land pride flex mower. In my opinion there is not a better setup to leave nice looking large area's. Last company i worked for had three of em.

3. tufguy100

tufguy100 LawnSite Member

what hp tractor minimum do you need to run one of them and do they leave a nice cut

4. Two Rivers

Two Rivers LawnSite Member
    from East TN

look end to hustler 4500 range mower... im kinda in the same boat..

5. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

jd has a 11 foot 57hp for like $50000msrp. wings fold to fit on trailer...

6. Two Rivers

from East TN

oh you would have to buy a used one first or have a 5 year contrat and hope gas doesnt go to 5.00 a gallon.

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

No offense, but they don't use gas.

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Do a search on "WAM".

The John Deere 1600 IMO is worhtless. You have decks on the side of the mower, so it's impossible to get into corners, or along buildings. Same thing with the Toro 4000 and most of the Jacobsen and Hustler mowers.

The Toro 4100 is decent. It's got all the deck outfront, much like a smaller John Deere 1400 on steroids. The biggest issue with the Toro, or any WAM for that matter, is the cost of repairs, plus the down time.

When I was running a Toro 4100, for one thing, the machine weighs 4000 lbs. Secondly, even when I rigged it to mow in high gear, it would still only mow about 7 mph, plus you could hear the hydrostatic transmission whine all the time, too much strain.

Go the compact tractor route with an 11-15' mower. We've run a Kubota 4330 since 2001 on the schools and parks systems we mow. Yes, it's long, and yes, it takes up a whole trailer, but the mower can be picked up for around $1000 / foot, ie 11' = $11,000, 15'=$15,000.

Then you have the tractor to do other work. With a WAM, that's all it is, a mower. If you're going to buy new, a new WAM is going to cost you the same as a new compact tractor / pull behind Tri-Deck.

We mow 99% KY bluegrass / fescues. Last year we were using the 43 hp Kubota to pull a 15' Tri-deck and it worked just fine, except the spring growth, if it was low and soft, we'd have to slow down to about 3-4 mph.

Either that or get some high speed 72" mowers. My Kubota ZD331, 72" deck, the GPS says I'm running between 11 and 12 mph across the turf while mowing. You could get 2 of those mowers for around $25,000, be mowing the same width as an 11' WAM or pull behind, and doing it about 50% faster.

9. Two Rivers

from East TN

thanks for the advise. sounds like a 72inch hustler will be the way i go. Plus, it runs on gas!!!

10. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

We have had jacobseen and still have a howard price 10'. But two 72" Dixie choppers Encore's or really any 72" Z will blow the wam mowers away!