1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

large mower little gate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AutmgRt, Feb 22, 2001.

1. AutmgRt

AutmgRt LawnSite Member

How do you guys manage to get your larger mowers in gated yards?
  2. larrv45390

larrv45390 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

There have been a lot of post on this in the past. Try doing a search.

I would thank about buying a mower that fits.
  3. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 32" scag we use to cut gated lots we only have one so its not too bad. I try to stay away from most gated yards though.

4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

A 36" seems to be the choice here for gated areas. I think though, most guys will avoid gated yards to begin with. The only gated yard I have, is my own.LOL
  5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

6. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

We run a 54'' side discharge Walker and came across this problem.It's not a big problem when you only do large or wide open residentials,but at least 30% of our clients have smaller gates.We bought a 36'' dual hydro scag.It is faster than 2 guys on 21'' mowers and has a better cut than a 21''.It was expensive but has been one of the best things we have bought.Even with a 36'' there are yards we can not get into.So we are thinking of dumping any jobs that we can not get the 36'' in the yard.

Plus people can't understand when we charge alot of money for a small yard,most small pushmower jobs take as long or longer than a large job.

Like the rest of you guys,i'm getting sick of pushing a mower around!
  7. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Based on some of these posts, there seems to be a
    market out there for gated lots providing the right
    size mower can be found.
    Aside from my 21", I purchased a 34" Simplicity 14hp rear engine rider to use for this purpose, and as a backup to the LAzer Z HP. I debated a 36" W/B but you cannot tow a cart, tow aerator or dethatch with one and they cost more. This unit will bag easier also. My concern is long term durability/maintenance costs.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Autmgrut, I tried to respond to your email but it was return to me. Is your email address correct?

I never have had a gate the 36" wouldn't go in. It is more productive than 21". I don't plan to take on any more lawns with gates. If the Lazer HP doesn't fit, someone else will need to get the job.
  9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Large mower + little gate = move on to another lawn.
    If I can't ride it, I won't cut it!
  10. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Gary-I think you need to research walk-behinds a little more.My scag 36'' can bag grass,toe an aerator and dethatch.I also plow snow with it,it can use snow blower attachment and I also have a power sweeper for it.As for long term durability/maintenance costs,you can't find a mower that will be more reliable/durable.

I think alot of people discard jobs that require a small walk-behind becouse they don't want to walk or don't think that there is money in it.Personally I wish I was on our walkbehind crew!I can't stand being bashed around all day on the walker!Also as far as there being no money in small lawns,We make just as much with our 36'' as we do with the 54'' walker.Plus the cost of the scag is smaller than the Walker.It also goes through much less gas compaired to the walker.

Everyone is open to an opinion,and that is mine.