Large mulch installs

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JRSlawn, Feb 19, 2005.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a couple huge mulch jobs. Over 100 yards each and I was wondering how you guys figured it with all the plant amterials in the beds. Do you subtract anything a precentage for this or what. I just dont whant to get this much mulch out there and say wow to much ;) ;) ;) Hep me please

2. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I usually calculate the square footage of the beds and then subtract fifteen percent for shurbs. Depends on how your design is though. If I am doing a really heavily planted bed I subtract forty percent, and if there is hardly any plant material I only do five percent. On average though its fifteen for me.

3. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

once you get your sq footage give a call to your local Mulch blowing company. Give them the sq footage you calculated and they will give you a price. then you add your amount and submet the estimate... You win the contract because you can provide services at a lower rate due to the fact you or your crews are not working on it. This is my extremly biased openion though!!!! but all is true!!! If you don't know a local company you can go to www.mulchblowing.com and they will send your info to the closest mulching co.

4. JRSlawn

The fourm doesn't work

5. Groundcover Solutions

In what way dose it not work? Let me know and I will test it and then contact EB

6. JRSlawn

I filled the whole thing out pressed send and a screen came up said it wasnt working

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Hey Matt, when I read the original post, my first thought was to use a mulch blowing service for jobs that large. But then when he said he wasn't sure how much he would need, It got me to wondering.........is there a meter of some kind on those trucks to tell them how much they have blown?

8. Groundcover Solutions

Yes the truck has an automated system that pretty accurately tells us the amount of material we have used. We can also judge by the amount of material left in the back of the truck.

9. Groundcover Solutions

I tested the form and it seems to work for me. I sent them info and they should contact me. If you would like me to contact them directly just PM or email me the information and I will send it to the appropreat party. Hopefully they can contact me back and I can give you a direct email.

10. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Matt, to change the subject for a second, I submitted our info to the EB forum several weeks ago and haven't heard anything back.... Are you guys required to follow up on those "referrals", or is it up to you whether you do or not?

Thanks!

Dan