large out front mowers for big sites

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Indiana, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

Anyone ever considered a large out front mower like the Kubotas. Not the newer zero turns, like the F series. 72" deck and four wheel drive.

I have been back and forth with trying to find some way to save time on my large (5 acre or more) sites. They are sloped in parts and all have no obstacles.

Just thinking out loud....

2. If going bigger than 72" ZTR (84" laztec) why not go Ransome Toro, or Jacobson 100"+ wing deck mowers? Some of them go 14'.

3. I have a 72" Toro 4WD. I looked at Kubota and chose Toro.
    Seating seemed funny on the Kubota. Like it was designed for really short legged people. I didn't think much of their stamped deck either. If I remember correctly the 4WD had to be manually engaged and disengaged. You need to disengage the 4WD on turns or it tears up the turf. My Toro disengages automatically as soon as the steering wheel turns a certain amount.

Do you really need a 4WD? They don't turn as sharp as a 2WD.
    I have a 72" 2WD Toro also. It'll handle almost any slope the 4WD can handle. With 4 wheels and individual wheel brakes, it can take on some pretty steep stuff. Up to about 40 degrees, then I have to get the 4WD.

Is this the type of comments you were looking for?

Dave

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

David pretty much hit it on the head. I have 3 Toro Groundsmasters with 72" decks that are 4WD too. They hug a slope like nothing else.

5. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats the advantage of a 72" outfront deck toro over lets say a exmark or dixie chopper diesel 72" midmount?

6. rodfather

Less trimming because you can get in closer to some things...3-wheelers do the same.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have always wondered why there are not more guys that have large mowers and I sort of figured it out. I see plenty of Jakes and big batwing Kubotas and Toros but the LCO's don't own them. Its the municipalities and the large properties that have their own landscape and lawncare divisions.

Those things are awesome to watch work. They are so big they can actually drive down the street at a good clip (lol pun intended:p )

Knowing the price to be 60,000+ for some of these mowers I can understand why there aren't more of them in the LCO's hands plus they would be a bear to trailer. Can you imagine coming up to cut a larger property and unloading off of a semi trailer. We aren't making that much off of cutting yet.

8. rodfather

You are correct there ED.

Not only big, but heavy too. My one Toro Groundsmaster with the vac system on it weighs in at around 2200 pounds. Add in my fat a** and clippings in the barrel and you got a lot of weight on a lawn. Plus, I can only get one WB with it on my trailers. My guys don't like to use the Toros, only me. I think they're a little intimated by their size.

9. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

A guy down the street from me lives on a very large estate...and has to mow over 15 acres of turf every week. It generally took his helpers 2-3 days to cut it they would do it in slices. They had 2 toro outfront 72" diesels farely old. Just recently he got a liquid cooled toro 72" mid mount and was done with the lawn in a matter of a few hours instead of days.

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

the out front mowers take up too much space on the trailers.
    the hustlers 12 or 15 ft cut are great on flat open space but will not hold a hill and if its gets away from u call a tow truck and hold on
    the ztrs are cheaper and take up less space i can fit 2 61'lazers on a 12' open trailer for my large accounts. and use them on small account to.