Large owner salaries

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DAVELAWN, Nov 12, 2005.

1. DAVELAWN

DAVELAWN LawnSite Member
    from MASS

Reading Pro Magazine and Lawn and Landscape, I often wonder how much the owner of some of these large companies makes per year. For a company with 1 million in sales, what size salary is standard? I would have to imagine the owner taking a salary of at least $150,000 per year....any thoughts?

2. rbriggs

rbriggs LawnSite Member

I often wondered the same thing. However, keep in mind that one million in sales doesn't mean one million in profit. Keep in mind these guys/gals aren't running one person operations and doing one million in sales. In order to get to one million in sales, the costs are that much higher (labor, material, equipment, etc.). So in retrospect, one million in sales isn't as much as one would think. Anyhow, I also wonder how much the owners are making as salaries.

3. DAVELAWN

DAVELAWN LawnSite Member
    from MASS

I have a real good feeling that alot of well run companies, with owner operators, and 2-4 employees take home the highest net. Anyone else feel the same way.....Some of these million dollar a year opps, must have ridiculous overheads..

4. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

no big companys with low cost equipment the owner never even works just stays in the office

5. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Sometimes office work is much harder than physical labor.

6. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

ya but what i'm saying is that the company is so big that they need alot of office work to keep every thing together

7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

It's definitly not what one would think, the small 1-3 man operations net the most. The more you gross the less you make if they are doing 2 mil I'd say the owner is taking more than 200k, cuz they've got Big $ office employees probably making $50k plus. Not to mention they guys breaking $10k mowers and $30k trucks