Large plant just closed, yard "pros" coming out of the woodwork!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by CRM Lawncare, May 24, 2006.

1. CRM Lawncare

CRM Lawncare LawnSite Member

Large furniture plant in town closes for good on Friday. Employs about 800 people. I was watching the free service section of the paper. Two weeks ago 3 ads for lawnboys. This week there are 20 ads for lawnboys. I'm sure all this income will be reported and reduce the unemployment benefits received! :nono:

2. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

That happened here in Tulsa about 4 or 5 years ago as well. American Airlines had a big layoff and everybody with a truck and a murray was a lawn care expert. Not too many lasted very long. Although some eventually got new equipment and took off.

3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

it sucks, but people have to do what they have to.... even if they only last a few weeks if they're lucky.
    Just remain professional and price right, and you should be fine.

i always see pickups with a mower in the back, more and more actually. BUt at the same time, i'm stil gaining accounts, so i don' sweat it.

4. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

Rubermaid went out here 2 years ago and it has been hell ever since. Everyone got a ZTR and started mowing. Hope it fades out soon.

5. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

You would all do the same if you got laid off like that... lowballers come and go shouldnt effect your business if you do your job right

6. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

I never said I wouldn't all i'm sayin is i hope it fades out because they drive prices way down and sometimes it doesn't matter how good your job is if %90 of the guys are working so much lower

7. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

it seems that every one with a pickup has a mower in it around here, i am not worried, the customers i have, except for one, are all great people who take pride in ther yard. and the chances that i'd get replaced with someone with a 21" murray mower is very slim.

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Just heard yesterday that Avery Dennison in Statesville is moving. They employ around 100.

9. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

GM here in OKC is closing and they employ about 5000 people (I think), so I am sure we will see an increase here as well.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You know, there are times when I give a quote and later I am just wishing, hoping and praying someone comes around and underbids me LOL because I done realized the job is uhhhh so-so and sometimes, someone does and I am soooo relieved. :headphones: