Large plate compactor...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mrusk, Apr 16, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I will be buying a large plate compactor by the end of spring.

Money really is not a object here. I was a strong high quality unit. Chances are i will be buying new unless there is a good one on ebay when i am ready to buy.

What class unit should i buy? Chances are i will go with the wacker brand.

I do not want one i will out grow. Right now i have a 1550.

Matt

2. silverscapes

silverscapes LawnSite Member
    from de

when your ready to sell that 1550 shoot me a email rcjc226@verizon .net

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Matt - We use the Wacker 2540A It's a great all purpose machine. It hits @ 5,600# and is reversible as well. Plus its easy to move around. I highly recommend it.

Chris

4. mrusk

Cg i am just afraid that unit will be to small. I think i was looking at the 3545 which has 7800lbs of force or the 3050A which ha 6700lbs of force.

My main concern is cheaping out on $2000 dollars and wishing 6 months down the line that i spent more money.

Which way should i go?

5. Drafto

Drafto LawnSite Senior Member

Matt - I bought a 3050A last year brand new from Ransome CAT for $4,500 and have not looked back in regret. Well, maybe a little b/c I bought it in the fall and it sat most of the winter. BUT - I do love that machine, it is easy to move around, built like a tank, and it is bigger than Chris' (CGLand's) and that is what this is really all about right?

We started doing a lot of driveways last year, well, a lot for me is 3 but they were all tipping 3000 S.F. I rented a large Mikasa for most of the summer and got tired of the fees associated with renting so I purchased. I DO NOT recommend the Mikasa's. But for drives, patios and walks in fairly accessibale areas you will be glad you went with the larger machine. Keep the 1550 for compacting pavers.

Dan

6. mrusk

Drafto- Do you ever wish you bought the next size up? 4500 is alot less to spend than 7,000!

7. mrusk

BTW i havn't done a driveway yet, and if i got one i'd proably sub out the excavation/base anyway. I am really just doing walkways, patios, pool decks, and structural retaining walls. I do, do some driveway aprons.

8. Drafto

Matt - I looked at it this way, $2500 is a lot of daily rentals of a large walk behind bomag that we would use if we needed too. But we haven't. I like the 3050, and for the extra 1000#'s I just didn't see the payback. If that extra $2500 would give me a 12" lift instead of a 6" than maybe I would have gone for it but it doesn't. If you want to do 12" lifts get the 20,000# roller for a day at $250.00. For the normal lifts, 6" for a patio or walk the 3050 will do the trick. We use 3 - 4" lifts on drives but for the walks and standard patios you can almost get proctor doing a 6" with the 3050. And, it is bigger than Chris'!

Dan

9. Drafto

I do-do too Matt, we all do.

10. mrusk

Ok ok.

I always use atleast 6inches of base. I figured i'd do around 4 inch lifts and then do the final grading and hit it with 1 more small lift to get my 6 inches of base.