large property bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by accuratelawn, Apr 22, 2001.

1. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I need some help with a bid for a large property bid.
    Total area 4.7 acres 20k around house turf thin with lots of Oak trees. 3 acres open old pasture land. The balance of the area is the entry with driveway in the middle and several trees.
    He wants the 20k fertilized/weed control and seeded in the fall.
    Mowing will be done weekly. Leaf removal with dumping on site. He also wants year round service. No snow removal, but anything tree limbs that come down etc, is to be taken care of.
    My thoughts mowing 25 cuts @ $200 = $5,000

Seed 20k @ $1,200

Fert/weed control per application $80.00 @ 4 times $320.00

Leaf removal @1##%!! property surrounding with Oak trees - don't know how to bid. About 38k will need leaf removal.
    Leaf removal three times at 10 man hours? 10 x $40 = $400 @
    three times. Total $1,200
    Off season visits twice per month Dec-Mar. $75 assuming I will not find major storm damage etc. Total 6 visits $450.
    Total $8,170 12 months at $680 per month.
    The owner will be out of state for work-Three years total.
    I may be able to store a mower on site in steel building.
    Please give me your thoughts. This could be a great deal for me, but if I am off in my bid I will hurt myself.

2. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

that sound like a great deal, and some good prices.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

if you are going to be their wkly id
    put on doubles with a gator.the leaves will be gone.
    luck an all

4. accuratelawn

The leaves must be off the grass in the fall. I wish I could just mulch. Exmark mulching system works GREAT!
    I thaught about buying/renting a walk behind blower 11hp. I can blow the leaves into the woods that surround the house. Or another option rent a dump trailer with 16 hp leaf loader at $150 per day. The mowing and the fert/seeding I feel comfortable bidding, but the leaves!?
    Most the homes we do leaves for in the fall are 5,000 - 15,000 square feet. This is totally different.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Guys from the Northeast...any ideas?

5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wondering where in the world you got that seed price? Is this for slice seeding? Only 20K sq ft. seems really high at $1200. As for blowing, I have a 9 HP Little Wonder and you will be amazed at how much you can get done when you just have to blow leaves into the woods. A 8 HP Little Wonder can be had for about $650 and is very powerful and great for parking lots and leaves. Would be a great investment for this property. Also you can get a blower buggy for a ZTR you can buy from JRCO or make one yourself. Cuts down on pushing that beast, even if its on a slight hill that thing gets heavy after a while. All your other prices seem inline with what I would charge.

6. mike

mike LawnSite Member

MY SUGGESTION IS NOT TO RENT A DUMP TRAILER. BUY ONE.
    COST ON THE FRONT END, BUT IN THE LONG RUN- WILL PAY
    FOR ITSELF. YOU WILL NOT BELEIVE THE TIME SAVED.
    I BOUGHT ONE, 12' LONG & PUT SIDEBOARDS ON IT. I HAVE
    A TRACK VAC TURBINE SUCKER THAT I CAN MOUNT ON FRONT OF
    TRAILER. I USE TO HAVE A LOT OF BACK PROBLEMS BUT THIS
    SYSTEM SEEMS TO HAVE HELPED,(HEALTH WISE).
    GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

7. accuratelawn

Thanks for the replies.
    Seed 20,000 sq feet @a.06 per Sq foot to slice seed high?
    This is the only place with a large amount of leaves, so buying specialized equiptment is out.