Large Property Cleaning

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by AWJ Services, Oct 13, 2013.

1. vvanherk

vvanherk LawnSite Member
    from ON

Nice pics. Looks like your doing a good job!

2. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Thanks! I love doing this kind of work. We also had too cut all the English Ivy on the trees which took a bunch of time.

3. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

Looks like you did a great job!

I always hate doing jobs like this for the first time because you never know whats in all the brush you are about to cut. Ill be in the skid steer just cutting away and you will just hear a god awefull noise and back up as soon as you can and hope that it wasn't nothing important! lol

last job I ran over a bicycle and I swear it flung out about 100' it was crazy. phone and cable pedestals don't stand a chance either! worst thing you can ever run over is a old roll of chain link fence:hammerhead:

4. AWJ Services

from Ga

The Mulching head for the Excavator is like a vacumn cleaner. Spent several hours during the job cleaning it out. I knock the high stuff down for the skid mower because we had no idea what was under it and it is a little safer with the Ex than the skid going into the hilly parts. Found a few fire hydrants unexpectantly.

5. Kepple Services

Kepple Services LawnSite Senior Member

Best(worst?) thing I ever found doing a cleanup job with the mower attachment on the front of my T300 was an exposed plastic gas line sticking out of the ground. I ran it over, heard the hiss sound and smelled gas. Got the H3LL out of there ASAP! Called the fire dept, and you would have thought I said we were under attack... around 7 trucks showed up. Craziest thing I have ever seen.

6. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Well, I'm glad you didn't destroy your mower on obstacles. I guess that is the scary part about mowing. I try and go very slow and still find that wire looks just like dead vines!

Very cool project. It does look like a location from the Walking Dead!

Seeing it go from overgrown and forgotten to presentable is always nice.
    Are they going to let you keep the maintenance up?

7. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Were you required to put bmps in front of the storm drains? I didn't think that was required for mulching or brush work or is it just something you wanted to do?

8. AWJ Services

from Ga

Actually they where already there and we where asked too leave them. All the drains where full of dirt and non functioning.

9. AWJ Services

from Ga

The county actually had a bidding tour on this property for maint while we where cleaning it up. This area was booming in the 60's 70's and early 80's. It is not near as nice now but in the 2000's the area west of here had a major influx of wealthy people transitioning from rural living back to city living and the county is putting there tax dollars too work. The area is in a transition period for the better but only time will tell.

10. Krafty

Krafty LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from St. Louis MO

Looks really good! Seems like quite a few people are doing good now with the mulching services. Really giving me the itch to look for a mower.