large property discounts?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by burninbill, Feb 11, 2003.

1. burninbill

burninbill LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys give discounts for larger properties? I am trying to meet a competitor on a price but don't see how I can. The property is 45000 sq.ft. and he does it for fifty bucks an application. We were going in at more like seventy bucks an application.

Do you think we are to high?

2. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

oh my gosh....$50??? $70???you have got to be kidding....I'll let the fert guys tell you what they would charge since I dont have any properties this large....but I think you are way under priced...and your "competitor" is truly a ---- well never mind

3. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

The answer is no discount, but there are several ways of pricing. This is not really a large job.

After trial and error I found the best way is to develop pricing for a base 5K and build from there in 500 sq ft units.

I used to use size grouping for production and pricing but there were some flaws to the idea. I developed it from tracking application time and looking at avg production time per 1,000 sq ft for each size and then resort the list by production time in minutes/1,00 sq ft. It left pricing irregularities in a couple spots of the list.

I found that with a fixed time for the 5k that was longer time per each k and a lesser time per k for the footage over 5k has provided consistent production time estimates and profitablity. My base 5k also has a "stop charge" or base charge that accountrs for a few minutes of drive time and off site prep time for each job.

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

There you go, you just answered your own question. Meet his price and you will have succeeded in lowering the market and your very own standards. Let the lowballers walk with it. It will eventually come full circle.

5. Casey

Casey LawnSite Member

I'm not sure I could get the materials bought for $50, I would price 45000 sq ft at $150 fertilizer only, we do liquid not sure what you are using, but I won't work for free. I find it better to miss a job occasionally than to wish you had. $50 would get you about 8k done per application

6. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

$135/application here.

7. goose

goose LawnSite Member

I charge $150 for that size property . I dont know how he is doing it for $50 , much less $75!!!! FIFTY DOLLARS?!
    GOOSE

8. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Min $30.00 per app for new customers.

Min $25.00 previous customers.

Min $20.00 for current customers.

$4.00 per thousand

Broadleaf ONLY $125.00 per acre. One shot deals. I'll do them with the 25 gal boom on the ATV.

In no way could I do ANY of them and MAKE $$$ at &0.00 let alone fifty.:dizzy:

Jim