Large residential accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by m&mmowing, Sep 11, 2009.

1. m&mmowing

m&mmowing LawnSite Member

I'm going to try and break into these more this next year, I have one, and for the one mowing it's comes in at $150, a little underpriced, first time in a long time i bid something that large (2.5-3 acres). takes about 3 1/2-4 hrs

I'm thinking of mailing brochures to each house. After a brochure what should be the next step?

Cold call, door knock, post card? all 3?

There are several neighborhoods in my area that are largely untapped for these accounts surprisingly, and if I can pick up another 3-4 at the least (I think 50-60 of these homes are untapped at the moment) it would be a great way to really put me over the "hump" if you will.

How have you done it, how do you recommend me going about and doing it?

2. Classic cuts

Classic cuts LawnSite Member

Wow!! $150.00 to mow that? Must be nice. Here in Michigan most of my accounts are 2-5 acre accounts and the most expensive one is $80.00 cut, but they dont take 3 hours to do. Most are done in about an hour or so.

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Don't cold call, that is just as bad as being a solicator (sp?), no one likes having someone call them trying to sell them on something. If you know which houses you would like to get, I'd go by the house, write an estimate of what it would be to mow on a post card and then mail it to them. You can also use google earth to help get an idea how big the properties are so you don't get burned on the deal.

4. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

A free calendar with nature scenes on it with your business info on it so they keep it year round instead of a flier which 99% of people trash immediately .

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have one that is takes me 2 hours, 2-3 acres......$85 plus tax.........I hate cutting it...

6. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you cut with a 36 wb? I cut 8-10 acre place in about 3hrs. 2-3 acre
    in about a hr.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I like the acre+ accounts too.

Money wise you got to stop and think, $150 for 3 acres is *%&^ good!

I am telling you, even thou your hourly rate drops, you make more money so long you stay working.

Peace

8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have found that there is more money in smaller lawns. The smaller lawn oweners are willing to pay a higher price. Owners of large properties most often want the price of a small property.

9. m&mmowing

m&mmowing LawnSite Member

it's a 61 inch scag wildcat, and i'm really picky, so i doublecut almost everytime.
    Also, there's a ton of trimming, prolly 20 trees, and the backside is fenced for pasture, and several beds, or a brush burn pit, and a pool that the inside area must be pushed mowed. That's why it takes so long.

And I do like the tradeoff of only 1 unload for a little bit less of $ per hour, so i take it.

Thank you for the advice

10. MNBOY

MNBOY LawnSite Member

Yup. My thoughts exactly. Although a large account here and there is nice when you don't have to load and unload and drive around, etc. So it can be pretty much a wash.