1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Large scale concrete slab removal??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by KrayzKajun, Jan 23, 2010.

1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

well as most of you know ive been tryin to venture into the heavy equipment work more and sub out all my lawns.

in 2005 hurricane katrina wiped out alot of house in the New Orleans Metro area.well the money has finaly gone threw to demo all the trashed houses and slabs.

i have been contacted to take on a small portion of the slabs the homes sat on.they are in sections of 100 slabs at a time at $600 a slab to remove them all 100 slabs are in the same neighborhood.(walking distance of each other.)

im lookin at set work for the next 6-15months in removing slabs. have made some good contacts on getting a fairly decent sized excavator with a breaker.

after we remove concrete, must put a light layer of sand and grass seed.

looks like i may have found my big break in getting into the demo business like i wanted.
  2. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Good luck buddy!

Going to work the Mustang for a while longer then get a CTL once you get this work?
  3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

oh yeah!!:weightlifter:
  4. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

How thick are the slabs?
  5. tmf lawn care

tmf lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

cool bro just get a good size backhoe with a hammer. can damo. that slab then loand it on the truck too :usflag:
  6. curtisfarmer

curtisfarmer LawnSite Senior Member

Probably don't need a breaker. The slabs down there are just floaters I think, no deep footings. Any excvator should be able to tear them up and break them no problem. Even if there is a short frost wall, no problem.
  7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

That does not sound very appealing.
    Who removes the concrete from the property?
  8. Blue Goose

Blue Goose LawnSite Senior Member

What's your disposal plan for the broken concrete?
  9. bobcatexc

bobcatexc LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I sure hope your not going to have demo, haul off concrete, import dirt and spread, seed on each lot for $600. I'd also like to know what size the pads are?

You don't need a breaker to do this, why does everybody think they need a breaker???
  10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think there is enough information to say if a breaker is absolutely needed on this job. However I seldom pull concrete without one. Much easier on the machines when the concrete is broke. It is nice being able to break around openings and sensitive areas without swinging a sledge. The best reason though is sometimes 4" concrete isn't or its reinforced, having a breaker on the job means you don't have issues no matter what you might run across.

The houses I saw on the TV from down there looked like less than a 1000 square feet. That mean 2.5 triaxle dumps for me. depending on where the concrete had to go and the cost to dump if there is one, $600 dollars may be ok. Add in buying sand, trucking of sand (unless it is an easy back haul spreading and seeding, the deal starts getting thin. But hey, its work. I just would not be spending a lot of money trying to accomplish this project.