Large sports field mowing help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by POPO4995, Feb 7, 2008.

1. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm bidding on a large sports field, primarily used for soccer, to maintain through the season. They require the grass to be maintained at a 3" cutting height, and mowed weekly. The only trimming required is around approx. 8 goal posts. Everything else is wide open cutting. The property is 13-14 acres of lawn. What do you think you would charge? I'm trying to figure this out and keep going round and round. Thanks to anyone that provides their input.:usflag:

2. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not a big sports field guy but I'm guessing you're going to have to bag it. What kind of mowers are you using and what size decks?

3. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

I just wanna see if I am close. ~4 total hours with your 60"? So maybe 260-300?

(newbi guess)

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

At best, with no trimming, you're probably going to see it bid out in the $25-30 / acre range, so about $400 / cut??

As for the bagging comment, it's like any other lawn, as long as it's cut on time, you don't have to bag.

At the schools we mow, we get paid to mow the soccer fields (during the sports season) 3 times per week, so they don't get overgrown.

The school uses too much fertilizer and water, so it grows too fast. However, they almost have to do it, to a point, because the fields get so chewed up from all the playing on it.

For us, with a 15' mower, it takes about 15 minutes to mow 1 field. With the 72" mower, it's more like 30 minutes. Soooo.. Image is fairly close on the 4 hours.

5. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I would tell you 4 hours without looking at it this is figureing 4 acre per hour on a 5 foot ztr. I would set to mulch and keep on top of it. I am guessing these are municiple fields so I would say you will be lucky to get 240 per cut that is the goal post will take about 30 minutes total to trim and 3 1/2 on the mower. once you get accustomed to the field you will be able to do it a little faster.

6. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with packy. it's not like you are mowing for a doctor or a lawyer.

7. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

6 hrs. and 1/2 hr. for drive time. Add 5 bucks per cut for pre-emergent and post-emergent. Squirt around the posts, every 6 weeks, and no trimming is necessary. $40.00 per hr. if you want the work. Here in Ohio, those jobs get bid on cheap. So, $265.00 per cut.

8. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Whoah. He never mentioned pesticide use, and sports fields can be very touchy about that. You just don't "squirt" goal posts on a sports field.

9. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

$50.00 to pull up to the place then $25.00 per acre

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

One strong factor that you are going to have to consider, is that you mentioned they want it maintained at 3 inches. The issue you are going to run in to, and you can ask anyone else who has maintained these kind of facilities, is that you have to deal with the flush of growth in the spring. This requires mowing twice a week, or else you are going to have grass 4 to 8 inches high 90% of the time. Not only that, but you will always have a mess out on the field unless it is double or triple cut, or bagged. These people are going to have to know this AHEAD OF TIME. This all has to included in the proposal and accounted for.