Large stone project need hot tub idea.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by PerfiCut L&L, Jul 12, 2006.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

We just picked up a rather large account that will require a recessed hot tub in the side of a hill surrounded by a paver patio. The hill will accomodate three tiered retaining walls with a number of features.

One big obsticle I have to over come is designing the installation of the hot tub within the hill. No big deal, the problem is, it will be surrounded but 6' of pavers. Im a little stumped on how to incorporate access to the maintenance panel of the tub once its in place.

Any ideas? or pictures of recessed hot tubs that might help?

2. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

I am not sure of the panel you speak of, but from my limited experience any tub or spa that is meant to be recessed or flush with the ground will have the controls and essential parts accessible from above. all you do is bury the lines just like a pool. if there is a problem in the future, you pull up the pavers and dig down to the lines. any electric panels etc should be contained within a panel around the top. if you are talking about a self contained standing hot tub with the prefabbed sides, those are not meant to be buried.
  3. PerfiCut L&L

the tub will have the controls on the top, but there is one side panel that is removeable for maintenance purposes. Access to the computer module, wiring, pumps, that sort of stuff.

I'm not aware of any hot tubs designed to be burried, but if there are, I'll look into it. At this time the customer does not own the tub, but it will be purchased once we work out the details.
  4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Perhaps over top of the access panel area, you could use a decking material for a trap door to gain access. Unless they plan on pumping the water out for every water change, you will need access to that panel, as that is where the main drain valve is located. You may want to include some sort of drainage system to take care of that issue during your construction also. Having an area of decking material with space for sand or other dirt to fall through will also keep the tub cleaner as folks step into the spa.

5. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

I would talk to a local hot tub dealer and get their thoughts on it. Ive never heard of a hot tub being buried.
  6. PerfiCut L&L

I'll have to post some designs and pics of the project. Its a bit difficult to explain. Basicaly, yes the tub will be burried.

Anyone have any pictures of tubs mounted flush with a paver patio?
  7. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

Here is a picture that I got from ICPI. I had a customer that wanted to do the same thing. I have no information on how it was done, but I decided to sell the customer on a sunken patio to provide the privacy that they wanted. I haven't started the job yet, but I couldn't get much information on doing one either. Good luck!

8. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Recessed hot tubs aren't terribly uncommon. We just finished a job that had one, and I know I've done at least one other job that had one too... I believe that the tubs themselves were actually fiberglass shells that were set into place and then plastered/tiled. Both tubs were installed by higher-end pool companies. I don't have pictures of the latest job, and I'm not sure I've got any of the hot tub on that first one. Sorry!

All of the mechanicals (pump, heater, filter, blower, etc) are separate from the tub, just like a pool, which allows them to be placed almost anywhere.

I'd contact a pool and spa company and sub that part out.
  9. PerfiCut L&L

walt, thats prety much what Im looking for, except that one I would probably make an access door on the far wall. In my case, the customer wants something very similar. The tub sunken flush with lower level patio, but he also wants about 4' of patio all the way around the tub for seating of guests not in the tub.

Ill look into the idea of getting a tub that has all the pumps and motors seperate like Felix mentioned.

One idea I had was to get a low profile hyldralic lift, and put the tub on the lift, this way it can be raised out of the ground. Just an idea.

Any other tub pictures you find recessed in a patio please post. The more the better. Even those partially recessed. Perhaps I can show my customer and convince him a completely recessed tub is problems in the making.
  10. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

4ft is not much space to seat chairs a still be able to walk in front or behind.
    Also what about custom making one? google recessed hot tubs and see what you come up w/.