large stump removal

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobbyg18, Oct 11, 2007.

1. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

huge oak tree stumps...cust has about a dozen of them all over the yard...i cant even come close to budging them w/ my Bobcat S185...

im thinking of renting an excavator to do the job...what is the minimum size (overall weight) machine that you would recommend for large stump removal?...its very hard to tell the overall width of the stump, bc of the root systems...but my guess is its about 3-4 ft stumps
  2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

backhoe will do it, or a 12K trackhoe...which ever is cheaper to rent
  3. TonyG

TonyG LawnSite Member

I'd get the biggest you can get your hands on. You could also grind them.
    I had some 14" spruces pick my A300 up with ease, but they eventually come free. The oaks you describe are huge, just take your time and pluck away.
  4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

The larger the machine, the easier it could be. The trick to the whole deal is technique and loosening the outside root system and moving in. Take your time and take little bites until she tells you she's ready to pop on out.
  5. GradeMan

GradeMan LawnSite Member
    from canada

Take your time and go easy and your 185 will do it, But it will
    take alot of time :weightlifter: Save your rental money
  6. Dirt Digger2

from PA

i've taken out 2' pine stumps with our takeuchi with no tooth took a while...for the amount of time and wear and tear on your equipment it would probably be in your best interest to rent a machine, pull them out and grade the place up in a day rather then take 2-2 1/2 days with a little skidloader
  7. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

I remember how my grandfather did it, a drill and dynamite! Too bad those days are gone. He even used dynamite to dig holes for trees.
  8. Dirt Digger2

from PA

yea but you can still drill holes in the stumps, fill them with kero or diesel and burn them
  9. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

these things are huge, ive taken out some big stumps before w/ just my mini hoe attachment but those trees were cut and the stumps were rotting for a few years...

these im talking about were just cut a few months ago and they dont budge at all w/ my S185...
  10. perkhound

perkhound LawnSite Member

be careful you don't mess up your bucket. An oak stump can be very hard to get up even with backhoes and excavators. I have both and you will have to get something bigger than the 185 to load them. Better get backhoe for the loading and digging.