Large tractor for snow removal.

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by AB Lawn Care, Nov 15, 2000.

1. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Do any of you guys/girls have any experience with plowing with 80-100hp tractors??????How do they preform compaired to a plow truck?????I am thinking of using a 80-100hp tractor with a blade on the front and blower on the back.Any thoughts or experience with this type of setup?The thing I like about a tractor setup is that they are powerful and versatile.What are your thoughts?

2. Alan

Alan Member

There was a huge 4 WD tractor with a Degelman blade and a big blower over in Oneida, NY that looked like it would be a real kick a$$ snow machine. I've often thought that a New Holland "Versatile" with a PA blade on one end and a blower on the other would be great. Only drawback would be slow travel speed over the road, but if you had places close together or one big site you could move some serious snow with that setup.

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know how many HP it was, but I did some with an old Ford 2000, with front end loader on it.
    They hadn't used it for snow in years, because it didn't do well. They had wheel weights for it, and tire chains. I did it with no weights or chains. It was a "spur of the moment" thing. The tractor was there in the garage, and the drifts were tall that storm.... I left the york rake on the back for weight, and it was lined with concrete blocks on top too.

It did ok, but I had to step on the posi lock A LOT. It didn't like to steer where I wanted it to go either, so I had to "unpin" the brake pedals. It just had too much power, and not enough traction. It may have done better with chains and weights, but it was really only good for stacking.

Now, a 4wd one is a different story. I think it would do MUCH better. A rear mounted blower would work great, but your neck would be killing you!!

~Chuck

4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

New Holland 2160, 4X4, will handle a 9' blade no problem. Will stack snow high and work well for snow removel.

However like any large tractor, the hydro will be slow compared to a loader, and a truck.

Geoff

5. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

Back in my hometown, a guy plows with a John Deere 7520. It is a center articulated 4x4 tractor. 200+ hp, duals on all four corners, 8 forward gears. He plows city streets with it, and that tractor flat out eats the snow. It blows away the Terex wheel loader that another guy uses.

I had two 7520's, sold them at auction when I got out of farming. Wish I would have kept one. Both had around 7,000 hours which is relatively low for 1973 models. One sold for 6,500 and the other for 4,900. Both were well maintained and in good shape. Air conditoner didn't work in the one that sold cheaper. I've seen dealers selling 7520's in the 10-15k range. Pays to check out auctions.

6. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Jason2-I have seen what you are talking about!There where 2 at a antique tractor show this past summer.They are massive!!One had a complete set of dual wheels and the other had single.The engines in those things are massive!!!!The one deere had a set of plows maby 15 or so and was able to lift the intire set up on about a 60 degree angle.I like those machines but that is too big for what I want!Anyone else?

7. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I will be using a 80hp agco allis 4x4 this year with a 11' plow on it.I haven't used it yet but did grade the drive with it the other day. We will be using it for the city plowing streets,they use alot of farm tractors here to do streets.I will most likely put a large rear blade on this tractor so I can use it for pulling out parking lots when not working for the city.

8. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

i'll keep an eye out for you, have you seen the john deere 8100's with the front blades? was up one night and saw one go by. those clear about half a street at a tyme.

9. vince

vince LawnSite Member

I've been plowing with my tractor for several years now and find that I can get into places that are at best difficult for trucks. granted the tractors don't have the road speed that trucks, but in lots and drives etc who is doing over 10-15mph.

I just finished hooking up a 2001 John Deere 940 tractor with a curtis built plow which hooks up to the bucket arms, and I tell you it is a awesome sight to see how high this guy can stack. It makes my tractor look puny by comparison.

Like Geoff said earlier with 4 wheel drive, these guys can really move the white stuff which at this very moment is starting to fall here in north central New Hampshire.

think snow
    vince

10. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Toddman,ours will most likly be the only Agco,not sure if I'm going to decal it yet or not.Yes I have seen the big Deeres I see everybody once or twice on a snow night but with fifteen to twenty plows out I don't usually get to stop and eat or talk with with anybody but my own guys.