Large trailer vs smal trailer

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by DitchDr, Oct 11, 2010.

1. DitchDr

DitchDr LawnSite Senior Member

Ok so 3 months ago I got this idea to try and save some fuel on a daily basis.

Well i did not want to sell my trucks and get smaller ones, nor did I want to go throwing a lot of money in 10 different directions trying to figure it out.

With that in mind I took one of my 8x12 trailers off the road and replaced it with a 8x5 . It took some trial and error but we got a ZTR and 32in WB 2 fs80, 2 fc75's 2 BR600's a 5 gallon fuel can a 2.5 gallon fuel can 5 pound spool of trimmer line on it.

Well the 3 month results are in, looking at a 7% decrease in fuel consumption on that truck vs the twin of it with the larger trailer. Never once did my crew not have what they needed, or did they jack knife it backing up do to shorter wheel base. It took them 2 days to get use to the smaller trailer, but now they said the like it much better then the larger one.

So looks like were gonna run the 5x8 trailers as our res rigs and sell the 12 footers off. We still use a 16 footer for my commercial crew as they carry so much more equipment.

So is that big trailer worth the extra fuel you burn every year?

2. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I went to a 10 footer from a 16 foot trailer when gas was at 4 bucks a gallon a couple of years ago. Has saved lot's of gas !

3. you'll jackknife the smaller trailer easier than the big trailer.

4. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Went from a double axle to a single axle 5'x12' 2 years ago. Saves about 10% on gas and 2 sets of tires a year. Still see lots of guys running around with 2 or three machines on huge trailers with one man in the truck. Very impressive. :dizzy:

5. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Bigger isnt always better, I use a 6x12 perfect size for my needs for now and to come ...

6. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a 6'X12'. I can get 2 of my 3 machines on it. Depending on what I am mowing that day as to what I carry. When doing smaller lots solo I can carry the 48"WB and the 36" WB and do anything I need. For the large ones I can get the 52" ZTR and the 48" WB on it.( If either of them were 6" longer they wouldn't make it).the push mower rides in the back of the truck. Doing leaves I have the bagger on the ZTR and it takes up most of the trailer.

7. DitchDr

Glad to see I am not the only one who did this. I see so many people on small (1/4 acre) res mowing jobs with a 16 or 18 foot trailer with little equipment hauling it will a big diesel truck. If this works out well, I am gonna replace the F-150's with 4.0 liter Ford Rangers. Still not sure on the mileage savings it would be, but the bigger trucks are drinking it down.

8. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

My V-6 struggles when I have the 2 big mowers on the trailer.I have even changed to a lower set of gears in the rear end. I would like to find a V-8 truck.

9. DitchDr

What kind of truck you running?

10. kilgoja

kilgoja LawnSite Senior Member

5x8 is all i need...i only carry one ztr on it and i pull it with a 4 cyl no problem...it all depends on how big of an operation you got going