Large trailer vs smal trailer

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by DitchDr, Oct 11, 2010.

1. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

2004 F-150 with a V-6,5 speed,3.55 gears. My trailer loaded is over 2000 pounds.

2. DitchDr

DitchDr LawnSite Senior Member

Truck should tow that with no problem. At that weight tho I would not be usng the bumper. Hope you get a new one soon!!:weightlifter:

3. 944own

944own LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a 5x8 also, I put my 54in ztr on with just enough room on the back for my lawn boy, I have trimmer racks on it but everything else blower gas cans ect. I just through in the back of the truck the only time I wish I had a bigger trailer is when I have to haul stuff off.

4. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

I have class 3 hitch on it. The 2 big mowers(total) are around 1700lbs.,trailer when bought was around 600lbs,Landscape cage 200lbs.,extra supports in the gate and rails extra 50lbs.,spare tire 50lbs,Weedeaters(3),racks,blowers(2),cooler
    Hedge trimmers(2),chain saw,extra fuel and all the tools,spare parts I carry in the cage another 150 lbs.
    Total 2750lbs.
    Max weight on the axle is 3500lbs.
    I only carry the 2 big ones together for big jobs with help. Most of the time I have the 48"WB and the 36" WB(1100 lbs total)
    It pulls it but when I hit the open road going to the other side of town I don't shift to OD and to 3rd gear in some areas.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  5. LawnEnforcement25

LawnEnforcement25 LawnSite Member

i just upgraded from a 5x10 to a 6x12. im already thinking about a 7x14 or 7x16 tandem axel. i just like to have the space. im only carrying a 48" John deere zero turn, but i want to be able to fit 2. i may get a 32-36" WB or a small zero turn to fit through gates and want to know i can fit 2. right now even with my JD backed all the way on the trailer i couldnt get a smaller mower on there except a WB or a push. thats it.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Each to his own. Personally I prefer a the look of a tandum trailer and a 3/4 ton p/u. This is what i run and don't plan to change. It's just a classic standard look.