1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Large Tree Moving

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by scrib, Mar 11, 2005.

1. scrib

scrib LawnSite Member

Just wondering if anybody moves or has someone move larger trees for them with a tree spade, and what you pay. I have a 90 inch big john and wondering what people are paying for transplants and new trees.
    Thanks for your input!
  2. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

3. bcx400

bcx400 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I pay $175.00 per hour, minimum charge, even if it is only one tree, is $400.00.
    (this is for a 90" spade)
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

let me pick your brain if you dont mind. we have been looking at outfitting a truck with a tree spade, and hemming and hawing at what size to start with. we were thinking of just starting with a 65 model big john which is kind of going middle of the road. what tree spade size did you start with, and if you had it to do over again, what size would you have started with? we purchased a tri axle roll off truck recently that we are outfitting for many uses and wanted to use it for a spade too, but after talking with the sales guy he said the spade would sit too high cause of the rail height on the roll off.
  5. shadybz

shadybz LawnSite Member

I operate a 45, 60 and 90 tree spade. Our rate is $160/hr. with a minimum charge of $300 for our 90 inch. The height on our unit is 13' 8". It is on a peterbilt chassis with a low profile chassis. A 65 inch big john is a good spade to start with, but you will be amazed how many times you wished you had a 90 inch.
  6. BoSoxFan

BoSoxFan LawnSite Member
    from MA

Where I am, the price is $600.00/tree. That includes install of 3 cable supports and filling of hole where the tree came from. Price seemed a little steep at first, but I really had no other options. Just went ahead and paid the price, added something like 5%-10% on top, and billed the homeowner. Everyone was happy.
  7. scrib

scrib LawnSite Member

Well the 90 inch is my first truck. I think if you have a truck large enough for the 90 inch I would not put anything smaller on it. I think the only benefit to the smaller spades is you can have a smaller truck and get into tighter spaces and cheaper to operate. With the 90 inch you should not be limited since you can still move the small stuff as long as you can get the truck to it.
    As far as your truck goes if the chassis is higher than average you might want to think about something different. You will find with a tree in the spade going down the road it is top heavy.