Large tree planting job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Corby Dieu, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Corby Dieu

Corby Dieu LawnSite Member

I have an opurtunity to bid on a job hand planting a very large amount of bare root seedlings. At this time I am not sure about what kind they are, will no more tommorow. If anyone can give me some detailed feed back on exactly how they would do this I will very much appreciate it.

2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Do you want to know on how to bid them or how to plant them?

3. Corby Dieu

Corby Dieu LawnSite Member

I guess I wasnt very clear, lack of rest does that. Any info on both how to plant and bid would be most apreciated. A little while ago I did learn more about the job. It involves 150000 hardwood seedlings being planted on 10 ft centers 436 to an acre. Exactly 344 acres. I know this info sure ought to stir up some posts, please give me your opinions and info.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

call the couty extension office and see if they have a tree planter to rent. If your lucky and they do its real easy then 2 guy behind the planter dropping in the seedling and stepping them down. If you have to do it all by hand I would charge 25 cents each and just buy a bunch of planting spades and get as many strong backs as you can and go at it. Good Luck

Mac

5. Peach

Peach LawnSite Member

Yeah...that's a lot of trees.

Small auger on a skidster. Use several machines and several men unless you have about a year to do this. Plant with feet. 2 men behind each machine/row planting alternately.

This only if the tree planter isn't possible. Those are nifty machines. Though I haven't seen them used I have seen photos and descriptions.

Hand shovels? No way.

Predicting debate. I am not suggesting auger planting B&B. Bare root seedlings are different and the bigger the aeration the better for the baby tree. What about watering?

This is a BIG job. Just guessing I'd want six planting machines and 18 guys before I'd try this....again unless you have all of next year to do it.