1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Large trees

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by TimNNJ, Nov 11, 2011.

1. TimNNJ

TimNNJ LawnSite Senior Member

Hey just seeing how you guys handle larger trees..in the 20'-30' range...i went on a couple estimates and the folks want to do say 3 larger 20' trees on each side to start with..so from what i gathered the leds are the no brainer..i agree here ..c9-c7?...
  2. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

I have a customer with two 20' Live Oaks we cover in M6 LED Pure White. We used 408' of lights per tree. I use a 12' folding ladder, one helper, and two Wolf-Garten (best and least expensive) brand pole pruners to set the lights. I take old pole saw blades and cut off the saw portion and cut a deep V into the metal to support the lights.

I charge $300 for the tree's and it works out to be $65 per man hour. I need to post a picture of my home made tree installation tool.
  3. TimNNJ

Right on..I will figure something out one way or another reguarding the bigger trees..but if anyone else could give some insight that would be great...
  4. NY Landscape Lighting

NY Landscape Lighting LawnSite Member

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I used to use the same things as above ^^
    But my guys break them in about 3 seconds,
    We have gone to the telescoping pool poles, they are more durable and my guys usually fashion a hook on the end out of some scraps, usually its a peg board hook they grab from the warehouse and bend to suit. A little electrical tape and away they go.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. addictedtolandscaping

addictedtolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

As Chris mentioned, those tips are great. I have done the same thing, the poles, they last a little while, but in reality, they are junk. I did jest pick up another tip on the order I put in with Christmas Designers, less than $5.00. Never hurts to have an extra. Pole wise, I also use the home depot paint poles, I pick up the expandable ones, they are more, but it is nice to be able to slide them in a compartment of my bucket truck.
  7. TimNNJ

any other tips for the larger trees..ie. estimating the lighting required and what not..cheers
  8. TimNNJ

so the m6leds are the way to go...I saw there are 150' runs of minis too..I have to make an order today and probably do some kind of priority to get it here by next Monday or so..