large walk behind? or ZTR?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by greenml, Aug 19, 2001.

1. greenml

greenml LawnSite Member

Recently I have been concentrating my flyers and mailers into more affluent area's and most of the lawns are aporx 1-5 acres. Now my questions is.. do I go for a large walk behind? or a ZTR? .. my only personal reason for going with a walk behind with a velke would be from what i have hear the ztr's are better for commercial use because of the weight. and in a more affluent area I do not want to be making any major tire tracks... is there any one else in this situation? or any recomendations?

I could use a large mower or ztr on a couple of my current properties .. 90% of mine are between half- 3/4 acre lots. but if i get this contracts for next season i need something bigger than a 36 inch..
    thanks for any help.
    also i would like to stay with an exmark..

2. jannan

jannan LawnSite Member

In my honest opinion, get the walkbehind first. Then if the larger properties materialize you can decide if you want the ZTR later. I have both and I use the WB 10 times more often than the Z. I have a pretty good mix of property sizes ranging from1/3rd to 3acres and sometimes I don't bother to load the Z even on the 3 acre jobs.

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

greenml,

Walk behind vs ZTR, tough question to answer. It really depends on the contracts you have. My suggestion is to base your decision on the contracts you have now, not contracts that you may or may not get next year. If you land several contracts this spring that you can utilize a ZTR on you can always purchase one then. Don't forget to consider terrain, not all large properties should be cut with a riding mower.

If you do stay with a walk behind I would suggest going with a floating deck hydro for comfort, reliability and ease of maintenance.

Then again the more units you buy the better it is for us. Maybe you should buy one of each???????????????

On a question like this one, your fellow commercial cutters may be able to answer your question better.

Thanks for the question.

Terry

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Here is my experience...
    I started with w/b's and then went with the Lazer HP. I wish I wouldn't have wasted so much $$ on w/b's. You more than likely need a 36" w/b. If not, great. But you will always need a backup. A w/b for a backup and Z for doing the real work.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

id like to here examples of areas you could do with a walk behind but not a 52 z. not saying there arnt any but i dont know any. the balloon tires if handled right dont mark. its the best hill machine ive owned w wts on front and again a good operator ability.areas not wide enuf is the only thing i can think of.
    mabe a hill with a curb at the bottum, but i might manage that to,im not sure.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

well stuck my foot in it today. got the lazer in a hole and hurt my back lifting one side on to something it would grip.
    it would have been easier to get it out if it had been a walkbehind. thats one time in this season ,so it dont happen enough to keep a walkbehind for my service. should have just trimed that hole. signed WALKING STIFF:)