Large Walk behinds vs. ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Dancer, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I am not really interested in Large walkbehinds but I am wondering why they still make WB's in widths so large 52" and 60" What purpose do they serve ? They weigh nearly as much as the ZTR which you can ride instead of walking ? How many people really use them and for what purpose ? I would think that if you could ride instead of walk it would be easier on the old body ! I realize that a lot of guys have 36" to 48 " Walkbehinds ! But not many have the larger machines ! How come they still make them and who uses them over ZTR's ? What is the deal with them ?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have a couple of 52 and 61 WB's...and would never give them up. They can go where 52 and 61 Z's can't (on slopes especially). Simply put, there is less trimming with them too. And they don't get stuck nearly as often.

BTW, we don't walk with our WB's...they all have one-wheel velkies. Z's are just "ok" in my book, but will never replace a WB.
    And they are a helluva lot cheaper than a Z as well.

3. MasterForm

MasterForm LawnSite Member

Really it varies by market.

The guys who do use the big WB generally have a riding sulky attachment, few actually "walk".

The WB does offer more hillside stability and they do maneuver more nimbly in highly landscaped areas.

Still, we were surprised where some guys use a 48" Lazer and others use a 60" WB to cut a similar area.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

What Rodfather & Masterform Said.

5. 4 evergreen lawncare

4 evergreen lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

The walk behind is more agile in confinded spaces. The hllsidde stability is far greater also.

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Visibility
    Versatility
    Affordability
    Maneuverability
    Stability

These are all the reasons that I'd rather have a w/b than a rider, of course it depends on your properties but for me I'd rather have one machine to do it all.

7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Above have said it all...besides, if you are new in biz, chances are that you will recover in the black much more quickly on your 36-48 WB/sulky than on a 52 or 60" Ztr. Tough world tough biz out there, every penny counts, accumulating as much profit as you can , then the Z upgrade won't be a problem or no need for it.

PS: All WB guys don't "walk", no body crazy walking 5-700 lbs machine, all use some brand of velke or sulky or sit-down attachment...just little input,
    regards,

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

A ZTR with a guy on it might weigh 1200 lbs. A larger hydro wb might be 750 lbs or so. I don't use large wb's (44" tops) but they are better on hills and are less damaging to turf in many situations. They can be used in places ZTRs can't reach, and may be easier to teach employees to use w/o ripping up the turf. I personally don't need a big wb, but there is always a use for one if you're doing enough lawns.

9. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

Any Idea what the difference in price is between a 52" TT walk behind and a 52" Lazer ? I have to bag every account around here so it may not benefit me much on the bagging end though !

10. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I was quoted Lazer HP 52" with 23 Kawi $7,100
    and TT 52" with same 23 Kawi engine $ 6,299 but th TT needs the sit-down sulky by eXmark which is $ 650 so the total package for TT 52" is $ 6,949 I would take the Lazer right away if you want to spend tht much.