Large Weed Job Help

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Husky03, May 31, 2006.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a person that wants me to get their yard back in shape. The beds around their house are out of control with weeds. Do you guys find it best to spray down the entire area with Roundup and then go back in like 5 days and attempt pulling the weeds after they are dead or just save money and forget the Roundup and just pull the weeds? I also thought about spraying the beds with Roundup and waiting until all of the weeds die and then just cut them down with the trimmer and rake all the dead stuff up. This house is out in the country and the people have really let it get over grown.

2. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe trim it down first, then spray. This way the homeowner can see some immediate progress on it.
  3. Husky03

How many days does it usually take Roundup to turn 12" weeds crispy brown?

4. PHD in Landscaping

PHD in Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

I prefer to smoke the weed.
  5. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't know how long it takes round up to kill weeds then you probably aren't licensed. If you are licensed to spray chemicals then you must be real dumb. If you're not licensed to spray legally get a flame suit quick.
  6. Husky03

LOL unless your pulling 3 Brand New Exmarks in a 24' Enclosed trailer with a 2007 $50,000 truck charging $200 per hour you have to wear a flame suit at all times on this website.:rolleyes: The only thing I have ever used Roundup on was small weeds never anything over 12" tall so I don't know how long it will take for it to die.
  7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I hope they want the beds mulched or pine strawed as a part of this "getting it back in shape". If so, spray with Round-Up and then a few days later, trim them down and cover. If you're really the man, apply some pre-emergence herbicide or at least some landscape matting to help prevent more weeds from coming back. If none of this is the case, sell, sell, sell.:)
  8. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'd knock it all down w/ a trimmer. Spray it w/ Round-up & let sit for a week. Come back & cover it all w/ mulch & you're done. If you don't feel like doing this again next year, recommend having you come every other week to do preventative maintenance for an additional fee.
  9. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Just a minute -- are you talking about using RoundUp in beds that also contain desirable plants? Boy that sounds dangerous to me. Wouldn't a selective herbicide be a better choice? RoundUp is going to kill anything green it touches. If it is actively growing and it gets glysophate on it, it is dead. I try to live by that rule, but it has let me down from time to time. Some stuff is tough to kill, but on the desirables, it seems any overspray at all is too much.
  10. Husky03

There is some desirable plants in the beds. I will be very careful with overspray. At the begining when I gave the estimate it was for PULLING the weeds. I am going to try and convince the people that cutting off with a string trimmer and spraying is just as effective if not better. Any thoughts?